cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Delete Unwanted Revision

kregimbald
9-Granite

Delete Unwanted Revision

I am trying to remove an unwanted revision. For example: There is revision A.1, A.2 and B.1. I would like to remove B.1.

The options available in Windchill are:

1. Delete all iterations of each object

2. Delete all revisions of each object

3. Delete latest iterations of each object

There doesn't seem to be an option to delete latest revision of each object. I choose #3 and I get an error message saying

"Cannot delete the latest iteration of object(s) 'Publication Source - test ifp tag template location, B.1' because it is the only remaining iteration for revision"

Does anyone know how I can remove this one revision so that the file reverts back to A.2?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GregOlson
15-Moonstone
(To:kregimbald)

They should really label the selections better:

1. Delete all iterations of each object ...of that revision, so that is the choice you want. This can also be done in the search results window by right clicking.

The only issue we run into is Family Tables...they muddy the water.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
GregOlson
15-Moonstone
(To:kregimbald)

They should really label the selections better:

1. Delete all iterations of each object ...of that revision, so that is the choice you want. This can also be done in the search results window by right clicking.

The only issue we run into is Family Tables...they muddy the water.

Thanks a bunch! You are quite right...the selections are a little vague.

GregOlson

Sounds like you may have experience deleting family table parts. I need to delete the latest iteration of a family table part which includes an instance which is an "only" iteration. When I select "delete latest iteration", I get an error that says I can't do it because the aforementioned instance is the only remaining iteration. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

GregOlson
15-Moonstone
(To:lroose)

I usually see this issue when a revision is done to all members of a family table....then the user realizes their mistake and wants to remove only one or two of the instances. Well it doesn't work that way. Either roll everything back or leave it alone.

Greg,

In my case, I want to roll everything back but Windchill won't let me. It seems to come down to this...I want to delete the latest iteration of the family table generic and the latest iteration all of the instances. However, one instance has only one iteration and Windchill won't delete it because "it's the only remaining iteration". I want the option to say "I know it is, delete it anyway". I've tried using "delete all iterations" on just this one instance first but then Windchill says I can't because I also need to delete the latest iterations of the other instances and generic. Lastly, Windchill won't let me select both "delete all iterations" for the one instance and "delete latest iteration" for the rest at the same time. It tells me what I need to do, which is what I want to do, but then won't let me do it!

cswaner
5-Regular Member

Lee,

It indeed gets much more messy when dealing with Family Tables.  In some cases I have had to resort to the Purge Management utility in order to remove some unwanted FT objects.

TimothySchrand
4-Participant

Did you ever figure out how to do this?  I have the exact same problem.

Hi Iroose,

Same here.

Did you fix this?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:cyildirim)

Don't forget that the system may not let you delete the latest iteration IF it has been saved in any assembly or referenced in a drawing.

Windchill makes it very hard to delete even the latest iteration, but even more so if it involves a family table.

We limit family tables to a few librarians for the hardware family tables and NEVER delete because of the issues between generic and instances and which are cross-referenced.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:BenLoosli)

Windchill is soooo lacking in the ability to delete objects.

Right now as a matter of fact I have a family table of assemblies.  5 instances on a generic.  They were all at version 7.4 and Production Released.  Someone accidentally revised one of the instances to 8.1 back when we were in PDMLink version 10.1.  I was able to delete something like this back in that version.  However, we "upgraded" to 11.0 this past Oct and now it won't let me delete version 8.1.  I put a ticket in to PTC about it and they said the message I see now was added in 10.2:

To successfully execute this operation all modified family table members must be selected together.

The revised instance was not being used on anything since that time.  I checked all where-used files.

The tech support person now says they will have to create a patch to remove it from the database.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:STEVEG)

You might be able to revise the generic and possibly the other instances and then delete them all together...

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:TomU)

I tried that twice.  Didn't work.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

If an instance OR the generic are referenced by any other drawing or assembly, you are now hosed!!!

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:BenLoosli)

I checked.  It is not referenced by anything.  Nothing was checked in with that specific version (8.1) to the database and it's not referenced by any change object.

ABuckles
4-Participant

Hi Steve, 

I just ran into this very same problem. I found a few articles on a similar issue:
https://www.ptc.com/cn/support/article?n=CS213228&source=snippet

https://www.ptc.com/ko/support/article?n=CS213228&source=snippet

I had to ask the user (luckily I knew exactly who to ask) to check their workspace for the generic assembly, and if they found it, remove it from their workspace. Even though the error I received mentioned the generic had been modified, in reality it hadn't. But, the system saw it on that user's workspace and somehow thought it had. Sure enough, once he removed it from his workspace, I was able to delete the unnecessary revision without an issue. 

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:ABuckles)

It was in someone's workspace.  I just had them remove it but it still won't let me delete it.

To successfully execute this operation all modified family table members must be selected together. Assembly  - xxxxxxxxx.asm, 7.4

Top Tags