cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Disable delete permission in Classification Administration

hsha1102
10-Marble

Disable delete permission in Classification Administration

Hello,

I want to restrict some of the users from deleting classification node in Classification Administration, they should have access only to view the nodes. Please let me know the feasibility.

Available article pertaining to the mentioned requirement:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS232933

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As far as I know, being a Classification Admin is like being a Windchill Admin. Either you are or you aren't. There is no built-in delineation of what actions are available and what actions are not. I get what you are asking for, the ability to make someone an admin, but not have to give them full authority. Perfect case for someone you want to do maintenance like update images, but not edit the hierarchy.

This should be added as a new Windchill Idea if it hasn't been already.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

@hsha1102 If they are not in the Classification Administrators, then they shouldn't even see that tab to be able to get to the tree structure to delete from there.  I just checked one of my users Windchill.  If that is the case, then there is a bug or something is set up incorrectly.  Or are you meaning at the wtPart level and removing a node from a specific wtPart?

Edit after rereading your post I have another question. If users can see the nodes from the Classification Explorer, why do they need to see them from Classification Administration if they are not to have admin functions?

Hello Brian,

No, the users are added as Classification Administrators hence they have access to delete the nodes. I want a specific set of users to not have the delete option but only view access.

No, I do not mean in part level attribute.

I had reread it and edited my last post.  Why do they need to be in that area if you can see the nodes from the Classification Explorer?  Is there a reason they need to see it at the Admin level?

Hello Brian,

Answer to your latest question: Some of the users should able to see the classification nodes and determine if new nodes needs to be created based on business requirements but they should not be able to delete any existing nodes.

Your requirement is visible from the Search --> Classification Explorer.  I just checked with one of my regular users and they can see all the nodes, even if there isn't anything in them, on the tree on the left side.  This does not require them to be in the Classification Admin.  This is what you are looking for.  Also, it would be a good practice to have a document with the structure that you have out on an internal website.

Hello Brian,

Thank you so much for the information. I will check if it satisfies my requirement.

Hello Brian,

Sorry if my statement is incorrect.

I tried to view the nodes through Classification Explorer but I am not able to see the nodes and its attributes but the parts belonging to the selected node. I want the users to be able to see just the classification nodes and its attributes and no additional information.

That is okay.  I would create a spreadsheet or use something like Mind Manager to get the nodes and attributes that are in the system in viewable format that cannot be changed but used as reference.  You could also create a product idea and have users vote on the idea.  However, sometimes it takes a long time for an idea to become reality if ever at all.

As far as I know, being a Classification Admin is like being a Windchill Admin. Either you are or you aren't. There is no built-in delineation of what actions are available and what actions are not. I get what you are asking for, the ability to make someone an admin, but not have to give them full authority. Perfect case for someone you want to do maintenance like update images, but not edit the hierarchy.

This should be added as a new Windchill Idea if it hasn't been already.

Top Tags