cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Document handling

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Document handling

We put all our engineering project documents in PDMLink and the majority stay at In Work.  However, there are a few of the documents that our group leaders manually sets the state to Approved.  They are analysis reports.  The reason we do this is so people outside of engineering can see them.  The group leader knows to set the state when the engineer sends them an email.  The problem is many times the group leader forgets to set the state of these documents.

We have workflows set up for our CR's/CN's but not for documents.

I am wondering if anyone else does something like this and if so how they handle it.  I know we could create workflows but we would have to get our partner company to create them.  I'm not saying we won't do that but I am looking for a better and simpler (less expensive) option.

8 REPLIES 8
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:STEVEG)

Can use the OTB Promotion process for this w/no coding or workflow development.  Just have to populate the Promotion Approver Role.

Unfortunately we already use it for some CAD files.

JeffZemsky
17-Peridot

Steve,

Why would that stop you from using Promotion Request?  You could also add a subtype of Promotion Request - eg Eng Doc Promote

The other option is to select several and do Set State (eg in a folder, search)

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:JeffZemsky)

Hi Jeff.  For some reason I didn't think of that.  I suppose that could work.  I will have to take a look at that.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

I am missing something but it is still putting the approvers and reviewers in automatically and the user cannot change it.

JeffZemsky
17-Peridot

Steve - you will want to clear out the Fixed Roles for Promote and probably Change your Group perference

promote preference.png

If you need these for another Promotion Process you might want to have a different workflow for this document approval that does not have the Roles you would use for your CAD promotion workflow so there is not overlap and no auto selection.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

You are exactly right.  I need them for another promotion request process.  Our CAD files.  But I know just a very little bit about creating workflows.

Thank you for the information Mike and Jeff.

bsindelar
6-Contributor

For this particular promotion request object subtype you can make a new workflow that is a "save-as" of the current promotion request, but then change the role of the "approve promotion request" task to some other role on the context team (like "Group Leader"?) and also remove/bypass the "review promotion request" task, which will take the "promotion request approvers/reviewers" roles out of it entirely (bout only for that promotion request workflow type).

Announcements

Top Tags