cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Document release methods (review and sign off)

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Document release methods (review and sign off)

I've struggled with this for a while but need to solve this finally.  CR/CN process works well for Parts, CAD and some critical documents. In my company, we see this as CCB control. Sign off is done via workflow through CN workflow process as stand in for signing actual configuration items.  

An easier class of documents requires no sign off but we may want to "release". Some processing required for only the author is needed to deem it ok to release.  I can see just using set state in these cases.  

There is a middle case where review and sign off is still required but who signs off is very loose, perhaps defined by document categories or types (not necessarily soft-types here). There are a few ideas I can think of:

• Outside review and sign off process - Use set state to lock down. No record in PDMLink of process.
  • Promotion Requests - We have a workflow to do review and approval. You will lose roles of who approved and OOTB, all approvers are required to move forward.  This would require a setup step to choose who the approvers are which I am not a fan of having the creator of the promotion request being the one who decides who the approvers are.
  • CR/CN - Workable but overkill
  • Custom action to trigger workflow - Customize to whatever you like.  

Common problem? Which method do you use or recommend?

3 REPLIES 3

@avillanueva 

I wonder why you would not the Promotion Request function?  Have one or two approvers depending on your needs, and use that to move the Document to Released?

James

Windchill 11.0

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:JHall)

I could and that is the leading contender. I have always had some reservation about that functionality. It allows the creator to choose their approvers (I know there are ways around this). Its could be simpler. A single action, route for release is all that should be required for the end user. The details of who needs to approve should be a business rule to be handled after initiation.  

If you populate the Promotion Approver role, and make them required, I believe the submitter can ADD approvers, but they can't remove the ones you populated. Of course, there can be downsides to that as well.

Top Tags