cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Documents - Classification and Importing

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite

Documents - Classification and Importing

I'm working on importing and classifying our engineering standards into Windchill.  I have imported documents on a large scale before and have even set IBAs while doing the import.  For Parts Classification the import of the binding attribute while importing the parts was a little different.  Can I transfer the logic from wtParts import to document import but match it to the nuances of the document import spreadsheet?  Is this something that can even be done?  I have a couple hundred documents I am importing in and it would be nice to be able to do this all in the import file.

On a side note, is anyone else classifying documents in Windchill 11.2 or 12.0?

Thank you,

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I had to change the way that the spreadsheet saw the definition of the IBA.  My old spreadsheet was from a different version of Windchill that used a different structure than the internal name of the IBA.  Once I changed to the internal names, I was able to start importing.  With 11.2 you need to use the internal name of the IBA and value if it is from a predefined list like enumerated values.  I hope this isn't changed with 12.0.

You also need to watch for special characters in the names of the files and what you are inserting for name, description, etc.  I had & and " in some places and that also messed up the import.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Brian,

How are you doing?  Its been a very long time.  I am going to look a classifying documents and EPMDocuments in Windchill.  We are also looking into Integrity for the format of requirements.  I wrote this in anther post:

There should be EPMDocument (either in CAD or Arbortext) Classification and WTDocument Classification to match both the product requirements and specification structure.  The ability to compare requirements and specification is absolutely essential for businesses to capture instantly the product gaps (lack of meeting requirements) or reuse of requirements into specifications.

Similar to using Options and Variants, one can build a requirements structure as the rules and see if the specifications can meet the rules and find the differences.  Additional, the requirements content information can be reused into specifications especially in the use of Arbortext.  If there is a change in the content, then both the final requirements and specifications published document can be flagged.

Hi Brian,

You should be able to import Classified Docs. I sent you an email with some follow up questions.

Thanks,

Nick

I had to change the way that the spreadsheet saw the definition of the IBA.  My old spreadsheet was from a different version of Windchill that used a different structure than the internal name of the IBA.  Once I changed to the internal names, I was able to start importing.  With 11.2 you need to use the internal name of the IBA and value if it is from a predefined list like enumerated values.  I hope this isn't changed with 12.0.

You also need to watch for special characters in the names of the files and what you are inserting for name, description, etc.  I had & and " in some places and that also messed up the import.

Top Tags