cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Does anyone hearing about the new Windchill licensing change?

tchao
4-Participant

Does anyone hearing about the new Windchill licensing change?

Does anyone hearing anything about the new Windchill licensing change coming soon that my dramatically increase customers' licensing cost after Windchill 11.2?  I also heard that PTC will also charge Creo connecting to Windchill license with different levels.  Anyone hearing about this?

5 REPLIES 5
bmüller
13-Aquamarine
(To:tchao)

Do you have some sources?

Different Creo - Windchill connection levels? maybe they introduce a Creo read-only license? ( and increase the Creo write license...)

br

ScottMorris
17-Peridot
(To:tchao)

I have not heard anything about this, but can comment on the current state of Windchill 11.1 licensing.

With our Navigate subscription licenses, we must provide end users with a "heavy" license including, Author, MCAD Design I, Partslink and SUMA to access CAD data. Regardless of the intent, this "heavy" license is required just to connect Creo to Windchill.

We have many people in the organization that are consumers of data and do not have permission to change any CAD data, but still have a need to access the CAD data and re-use in other processes. The current licensing scheme requires an expensive set of licenses providing a full set of authoring permissions, which is typically not needed. for these users.

It would be great if PTC provided another mechanism to license the Creo-Windchill interaction instead of the connection to Windchill from Creo. For instance, it would be nicer if View Only or Contribute users could access Windchill from Creo and have the license check validated against DB actions such as Check Out, Check In, New, etc.

bmüller
13-Aquamarine
(To:ScottMorris)

hm ok. yes 11.1 will actively check licenses. But that's not new. I was afraid there is the next price increase...

you always needed a heavy user license to use Creo and Windchill. At least our reseller told us. That's not new for me. I hope "old" heavy user licenses are valid too...

New is the price increase from October I think. They merged some features - business integration or something like that. You pay it now, although we don't need it.

br

@bmüller  I'm on 11.2.1 and have the old heavy licensing that I have had since 2011 and it works for CAD.

Top Tags