Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Parameters - the chicken and egg problem

Re: Drawing Parameters - the chicken and egg problem

I agree with @TomU . Templates are pretty much the only way to go for new drawing creation.

We try to make our formats very empty (border and title block table) and then create multiple drawing templates that can use the same format. The drawing templates can then contain custom notes, tables, prepopulated views, drawing settings, etc. as needed. Having empty formats also encourages users not to use formats for new drawing creation.

@TomU Is your revision block done with multiple cells? I'd be curious to see the setup as I think you mentioned using single cell repeat regions.

When you have symmetric left hand and right hand drawings, do you make two drawings or put them on one drawing?

Is your revision block done with multiple cells?

Yes.

I'd be curious to see the setup as I think you mentioned using single cell repeat regions.

Single cell repeat regions are a robust way to refer to a model's parameters.

• They don't break, regardless of whether or not the parameter exists in the model.
  • They don't snap to the drawing if the parameter doesn't exist in the model.
  • They will never prompt the user for a value and turn into "dumb text".

When you have symmetric left hand and right hand drawings, do you make two drawings or put them on one drawing?

Almost nothing we design is symmetric.  I can think of only one application where we actually use the mirror feature, and yes, both of those parts (and their parent assembly) are on a single drawing.

A couple of tables are attached to this post for your review.  (Creo 4.0)  Let me know if you have any questions or don't understand how something in them works.

Announcements
LiveWorx Call For Papers Happening Now!