cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

ECN form changes

PreetiGupta
14-Alexandrite

ECN form changes

We work in a FDA regulated industry and Windchill is subject for lot of V&V related activities as well. We have been using Change Management process in Windchill for almost 2.5+ years now.

There have three times SOP changes to this process since our campnay got acquired. Which pertains to attribute NAME change, added more categories etc etc. For example:

The attribute "Design Requirement(Input)" has been changed to "Detailed

When I changed the display name of the above attibute in Attribute Manager, it changes everywhere and we ruined the history. In our Medical Device Industry, we are subjected to make it available these ECNs according to the effective process/form at that time. And believe me, like this there are several changes happened to the ECN form.

I am wondering how other people manage such changes, I am sure there would be atleast quite a few company which might have situation like this.

What I have done:

I have created my OWN JSPs file to display correctly this attribute depending on when the ECN was created. So the ECN report shows the correct display of the attributes depending on the creation date.

So it fetches the correct ECN report.

I am looking into using the new Type Manager UI capability in Windchill 10.1, but I am stuck now because of the mess I have explained above.

So basically I am asking two questions:

1) How other companies handle this kind of situation today?

2) How can Windchill 10.1 Type Manager capability help me out?

Thanks,

Preeti

5 REPLIES 5

Preeti,

How do you retrieve the correct display of the attributes depending on the creation date of the ECN report in your JSP?

Thanks.

Yuxiu

PreetiGupta
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-896385)

Yuxiu,

I use JCA describe property tag to identify the label of the attribute display name.

I am curious to know if there is alternative way to get it.

Preeti,

I don't think JCA describe property tag has changed. There is only one display label for an attribute stored in DB at a given time. Unless you have custom data utilities to return static attribute labels for different time periods, I am not sure how it could have worked before in the way you use it.

Thanks.

Yuxiu

Peeti,

I don't work for a company in the medical field so I don't have these same regulations, but instead of updating the existing attribute couldn't you just create a new one and remove the old one from the ECN form?

New changes would be created with the new attribute while old ones would show the older style.

Only problem I see with this is if the change needs to be updated it will prompt for new attribute, not the old one...

Good Luck

Brian

PreetiGupta
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-155548)

Yes i agree and it errors out when you try to edit the old ones as the old attributes are not there any more. So essentially you can not edit the old ECNs. We have some ECPs floating around for 2 years.

I am trying to brute force this and attaching the PDFs Sumamry report as a last resort.

Top Tags