cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

ECN number without change request??

kc-2
5-Regular Member

ECN number without change request??

I am new to windchill imple. I did my implementation completely for my customer(Installation). Now i am configuring the CAD related things in Windchill like revision,Custom numbering etc.

Below is one of my requirement on workflow,

they need the ecn number with out change request. If i initiate promotion request of the drawing it should go to reviewer and then Approver and got released as per workflow.

But they need ECN number to be enter into the drawing sheet once promotion request initiated. Please give me one solution for that.

10 REPLIES 10
BhushanNehe
14-Alexandrite
(To:kc-2)

I am not sure if I understand your requirement completely. Are you looking to create change notice without change request. If so, you can set the preference Change Management > Change Notice without Change Request to Yes

Regards,

Bhushan

Per what Bhushan said - you can create a CN without a CR by utilizing the preference mentioned.  Also if you are using a CN why would you use a Promotion Request at all.  The Drawing/CAD/Parts should be on the CN and it will control the release of the process.  This is the intended use and is much simpler.

satre-2
1-Newbie

If I understand your question correctly, In drawings title block you have field for entering the Release process number ( i.e. ECN number or promotion request number)

it seems like you are using ECN and promotion request both for releasing the drawing and you want to populate the ECN/PR number on drawing title..

if above is your requirement then, you  can parameter in drawing and use customdownload delete to  pass the process number (ECN or  PR ) to drawing .

for more details see page number 112 from below document.

http://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/168630/en/ProEWCInteg.pdf

let me know it helps .

on side note : it seems like you are performing fresh Windchill implementation for customer, if you are migrating legacy data as well, then please add parameters to creo files and designate them before migrations

Thanks

Shreyas 

kc-2
5-Regular Member
(To:satre-2)

Thanks for your valuable reply. It seems like i need to write a program for doing this. Is it possible without code. because i dont want to go with customization on the initial stage.

kindly Let me know. Because this is one am looking forward for a long time.

Thanks in advance....

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Bhushan Nehe mentioned already that you can do this with a setting change.  However, you will need to be at least and Organization Admin to make the change.

doehr
1-Newbie

As others have said, if you're an Org or Site Administrator for the system you can do it through the system menus. Preferably from Site, go to Utilities/Preference Management, and then in the Change Management section toggle the Change Notice without Change Request option. I think by default this may be locked at the Site level so you might not be able to change it from the Org level.

kc-2
5-Regular Member

Hi Daryl,

As you said,i changed the change notice without change request in preferences as a org admin. here my question is how it will update that ECN number to drawing. As i said earlier am new to CAD configurations with Windchill.

Can anyone tell me the solution for this issue???

How to do custom download delete on parameter ?? if anyone know kindly explain step by step..

Thanks in advance...

doehr
1-Newbie

Um...which part of the drawing are you referring to for the ECN number? If you're talking about inside the CAD file which eventually gets made into a PDF with the ECN number in the title block, that's purely manual from inside the CAD program when you're setting up the file.

As for within PDM, if you go to the Changes tab of any part or CAD file, any ECNs listed in Affected by Change Notices are ones that have that part or CAD file as an Affected Object i.e. that ECN will change it when it finishes, and Resulting from Change Notices is the ECN that released that specific version of the file.

And could you please elaborate on what you mean by a "custom download delete on parameter"?

Thanks,

Daryl

kc-2
5-Regular Member
(To:doehr)

Hi Daryl,

This is my exact requirement,

Once i initiate a Promotion request i will get the promotion request number(consider this as my ECN number). After that In drawings title block i have field for entering the Release process number ( i.e. promotion request number).

But the problem is once i initiate the Promotion request the object got locked. i could not able to edit that drawing file.

But i want to populate the ECN/PR number on drawing title..

Is there any other way to update automatically or manually after initiating the PR.

Am struggling in this ..

Thanks in advance....

doehr
1-Newbie

Ah...that's a very different method of doing things, and compared to the industry standards unfortunately may not be the correct way. Promotion Requests usually aren't used as engineering change orders. You use them to "upgrade" a part to a more mature lifecycle state, i.e. from a purely theoretical prototype phase to a production prep phase, saying "I think this part is ready to start physically sourcing, here's my evidence proving it". No changes to the part's definition or BOM structure gets done during that review and promotion, you lock the definition down (which as you said the system does automatically) so that nothing changes while the reviewers are assessing it. Since a more mature lifecycle state of a part is where real money can start getting spent on tooling, supplier contracts, initial inventory etc those stability promotions get taken seriously and you don't want to start having people try to build an unfinished design. The costs of doing that could skyrocket very quickly.

The Engineering Change Order numbers traditionally found on design drawings are for the orders that actually changed the part definition or BOM structure. This is usually done via the PDM-Link Problem Report-Change Request-Change Notice-Change Task system which it is pre-built to do, and you can heavily customize it further.

Does this make sense?

Daryl

Top Tags