cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

ESI-ERP Connector - What defines a "ChangedBOM" Header?

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

ESI-ERP Connector - What defines a "ChangedBOM" Header?

From my testing, there are some preferences here at play, namely "Publish only Incremental Changes for a Modified Assembly when Publishing a BOM". I had this set to "No" and the result was that the BOMHeader was always listed as "AddedBOMs" section and components where in the "AddedBOMComponents" section. Fine, at least I get the whole thing.

But when I iterate a BOM I already published previously on the previous version, the next version still shows as "AddedBOMs". Even when I check out and in, iterating the Part, same result. I thought it would shift to "ChangedBOMs" section.

I flipped "Publish only Incremental Changes for a Modified Assembly when Publishing a BOM" to "Yes" and it now shows the BOMHeader as "UnchangedBOMs" and I see the components in their respective sections for "ChangedBOMComponents" and "UnchangedBOMComponents" which I would expect. It gets me thinking, when would a BOMHeader ever change in this situation?  I would have thought if anything about the BOM changed on the BOM, the header would be outputted to the response as hey you have a changed BOM you need to process. 

Thank in advance if anyone knows. Looking to see how new versions or iterations will appear as a "ChangedBOM".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

So, let me get this out of the way first. I AM AN IDIOT!. There, now I've bumped myself up on the Google search ranking for idiots. "Publish only Incremental Changes for a Modified Assembly when Publishing a BOM" needs to be set to "YES". It does work but what I may not have realized is there were two places this is set. One for the BOM and one for the change notice.  Both need to be set and it appears to be functioning as expected. Note, in my case, using ERP Connector, I had SAP folks do a complete delete and repopulate of the components, so having this no seemed easier for them. All components would essentially be an add. But they keyed off ChangedBOM so it needed to be there. So now they need to look in added components, changed components and unchanged components. The world is now sane again.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

So, learned something interesting. You can use the "Send to Distribution Target" to preview what ESI will do. In this case, I created a test BOM and a new view version (MFG) and sent that to the DT. Next I created an new version A and also its corresponding MFG view. If I try to send the A MFG view of this assembly, it shows it as a "create" for the Assembly Part:

avillanueva_0-1626960053899.png

Why would it not see this as a change since I did change the BOM and its been revised?

Hi Antonio,

depending on your ERP system, and how you have "connected" Windchill with your ERP (in my case SAP with Tibco as a middleware) you receive info (in my case through SAP BAPI) if you are creating or modifying a BOM.

When I call Tibco from Windchill, you can see info as in above image, but you have to tell Tibco to call a BAPI to create or to modify (maintain) a BOM.

Marco

You can also see, through a query  builder report, in real time the state of objects sent to ERP (see image)

Sorry for some Italian label

Marco_Tosin_0-1626962080566.png

Marco

So, let me get this out of the way first. I AM AN IDIOT!. There, now I've bumped myself up on the Google search ranking for idiots. "Publish only Incremental Changes for a Modified Assembly when Publishing a BOM" needs to be set to "YES". It does work but what I may not have realized is there were two places this is set. One for the BOM and one for the change notice.  Both need to be set and it appears to be functioning as expected. Note, in my case, using ERP Connector, I had SAP folks do a complete delete and repopulate of the components, so having this no seemed easier for them. All components would essentially be an add. But they keyed off ChangedBOM so it needed to be there. So now they need to look in added components, changed components and unchanged components. The world is now sane again.

Have you set the View to BOM type preference, e.g. Design=Design and MFG=Production? 

That can lead to this behavior, as they are typically two different objects at the BOM header level in the DT.

Top Tags