cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Editing "Description" field is locked

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine

Editing "Description" field is locked

Hi there,

I tried to edit attributes of a CAD - Object in Windchill Essentials 10.2.

But somehow the field is not editable.

desc_edit.JPG

In attributes manager it says that its visiblity is set to read/write.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine
(To:Mat)

I asked support for assistance.

They said, that the value of "Description" of a CAD - Part object is passed from its higher-level WT-Part object (ERP).

So, for an Windchill Essentials user there is no way to modify that value.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
doehr
1-Newbie

Have you checked the access rules set on that object type compared to your account to be sure you would have access to it, and was it checked out to you at the time?

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine
(To:doehr)

type and attribute manager says, that rules are OK.

desc_rules.JPG

Role based access rules should not be a problem, because editing the CAD - file or other attributes is not a problem.

BenPerry
13-Aquamarine

Matthias Rehs‌‌,

That looks like the Edit Attributes screen of the working copy of the object.  Get to the commonspace copy of the object (or check it in) and then edit Description.

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenPerry)

In commonspace all I can choose is "edit attributes" again (with the same result).

Shoud there been an additional menue item?

desc_edit_cs.jpg

doehr
1-Newbie

Ahhhh...that's a Creo file isn't it? We've seen that the Creo to Windchill links force a number of the attributes of CAD parts and the like to be fed only by Creo. So no you probably won't be able to edit that file because it is set within Creo and pushed to Windchill. You'll have to go through Creo to do what you want I think.

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine

I asked support for assistance.

They said, that the value of "Description" of a CAD - Part object is passed from its higher-level WT-Part object (ERP).

So, for an Windchill Essentials user there is no way to modify that value.

doehr
1-Newbie

Well...there is a "cheating" way.

Remove the forced attribute from all layouts of the part (but don't delete it, that way the data is still maintained and Creo won't complain when it tries to find and populate it) and create a second Global attribute for Description. The one concern you may have is in structure views, it may by default be hard-coded to show the original Description field for the components so you may need to alter those if you really want to do this.

Top Tags