cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Efficient way to add large numbers of affected objects to change requests?

JordanThomas
1-Newbie

Efficient way to add large numbers of affected objects to change requests?

I have an excel spreadsheet of a little over 2000 objects that need to be added to the affected objects table of a change request. Does anyone know of a way to do this that doesn't involve searching for and adding 2000 individual items? Is there some way to "mass add" part numbers, maybe by copy/pasting them from somewhere? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenPerry
13-Aquamarine
(To:JordanThomas)

Jordan‌‌,

Depending on your requirement, use * wildcard character or not (or perhaps ? wildcard character).

1. Click on the green + button to open the "Find Affected Objects" screen.
  2. Enter a string in the Number field that includes the part numbers separated by a semi-colon (;).
    1. For example: ITEM1*;ITEM2*;ITEM3.
    2. FYI...I think the character limit for this type of thing is 1000 characters. So watch out or it will get truncated and you won't get all 2000 objects.

2015-04-30_14-32-34.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BenPerry
13-Aquamarine
(To:JordanThomas)

Jordan‌‌,

Depending on your requirement, use * wildcard character or not (or perhaps ? wildcard character).

1. Click on the green + button to open the "Find Affected Objects" screen.
  2. Enter a string in the Number field that includes the part numbers separated by a semi-colon (;).
    1. For example: ITEM1*;ITEM2*;ITEM3.
    2. FYI...I think the character limit for this type of thing is 1000 characters. So watch out or it will get truncated and you won't get all 2000 objects.

2015-04-30_14-32-34.png

Thanks, I tried that but the only thing my part numbers had in common was their length, which they also shared with a lot of objects that didn't need to be added. I ended up using the following procedure:

save excel list as text file (space delimited) -> copy groups of space-seperated part numbers into "Keyword" field of Advanced Search with "Find: with any of these criteria" set -> select objects from search results -> paste into Affected Objects.

Unfortunately, this limited me to adding about 100 objects at a time, thus getting through one list required doing this twenty times. So I am still looking for a more efficient way if anyone knows of one.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Awesome. Thank you, didn't know you could search lists in the add objects dialogue with semicolon (especially weird, given that the list seperator in other parts of Windchill is a space or comma). That saves a lot of time.

Top Tags