cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Enable automatic numbering only with Rename action

N-Pyn
13-Aquamarine

Enable automatic numbering only with Rename action

Hi,

Is there any way to disable automatic numbering when creating new CAD documents in third party CAD software but enable it when using Rename action?

When autonumbering is enabled in the OIR, every new CAD file created in Solidworks will get a new number. This results in huge amounts of "wasted" numbers when users try different ideas and discard them later. But when I disable the autonumbering (by removing GetServerAssignedConstraint) in the OIR, it is also disabled in the Rename action:

NPyn_0-1698844974443.png

I'd like for our users to be able to use temporary concept names when the design is in work and then rename them with autonumbering when they are ready.

3 REPLIES 3
Ruediger_Scholz
13-Aquamarine
(To:N-Pyn)

Hi N-Pyn,

from working with other customers, I can tell that same use transition to a different lifecycle state to trigger autonumbering at a later stage - not during creation of the CAD model This is requires customization,though.

As a product manager, it would be interesting to understand your process and requirements. Perhaps you can create a Windchill idea for further discussion? So others could also vote for it.

Regards,

Ruediger

N-Pyn
13-Aquamarine
(To:Ruediger_Scholz)

Hi Ruediger,

That sounds like a decent solution, but too bad there isn't that kind of functionality OOTB.

I'll create a Windchill Idea at some point as it seems that there isn't any solution to this problem without customization.

With Creo Parametric, the autonumbering function is already almost okay. Except for these problems with Save as, Replace, etc.:
https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/Autonumbering-in-Creo-Parametric-Don-t-Consume-Number-Unless/idi-p/609594#M12420

When you are creating a new part in Creo Parametric, you can override the number generation and use a temporary filename for the model. With SolidWorks it is not possible. If autonumbering is on, a new number is reserved from the sequence immediately when you create a new part. Even if the part is a virtual part inside an assembly! And if the autonumbering is off, it is also off in the Rename tool.

Our (and many of our customers') design process starts with concept phase, where the assembly structure can change drastically and all kinds of new models are created in order to test different solutions. When the design is ready, there might be around 20-30 parts created during the concept phase from which only 10 are really in use in the final design. So huge amount of numbers is "wasted" if the autonumbering is used.

Also with Solidworks there is a risk of not remembering to set the import settings correctly. At least a while ago, if you didn't remember to set correct import settings and you imported a STEP assembly to Solidworks, it would reserve a number for each component in that imported assembly. I have managed to reserve over hundred numbers by opening a STEP assembly of a PCB in Solidworks by accident.

Having a separate OIR for Rename and CAD document creation would eliminate this problem as you could disable the autonumbering from CAD document creation phase and just Rename and autogenerate, when the design is ready.

Ruediger_Scholz
13-Aquamarine
(To:N-Pyn)

Hi N-Pyn,

thank you for the long feedback - appreciate your efforts. I agree that the situation described in the mentioned Windchill idea is not great, but 3rd party WGM is even lagging behind. Let me check back internally on your topics. As usual - PMs can do any promises. 😀 But I see some convergence with other roadmap topics here.

Regards,

Ruediger

Top Tags