cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Exporting PDF's

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Exporting PDF's

I know many on these boards use Fishbowl's LinkAccess Trigger.

Does anybody know if PTC has any plans to  come out with something similar in the near future or if it's even a consideration?  Can anyone from PTC comment about any plans in this area?

13 REPLIES 13

We are using Creo View Adapters to create pdfs and attaching them to the representations in Windchill. We do also use some tools from Fishbowl to stamp WTPart info on to that PDF. So we use some stuff in combination.

Andy,

That is an interesting idea.  But we are looking to export PDF's of our drawings upon a certain state change.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:STEVEG)

Apparently I was typing my reply while you posted this...

Although I haven't personally done it, I've been told that you can write a workflow in such a way that it can do this - basically dump an object out to a network folder somewhere.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:TomU)

That is what we want.  But I assume there would have to be some java programming needed.

AndyHermanson
12-Amethyst

Is the Adobe LiveCycle required for this part?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:AndyHermanson)

The answer is probably, "it depends".  Adobe Live Cycle is needed if you want to create PDFs from Office documents.  If you want to make PDFs (or other file types) from CAD objects, then, no.  This capability is built right into the CAD workers (Creo View Adapters) and is configured via publish rules (xml file).

DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock

Really? I'd love to present 'export PDF to external location) as a solution.

Do you have any more detail you could provide about this? (I'm trying to comb the knowledge base but that can be trying at times.)

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:DonSenchuk)
NickD
9-Granite

It looks like Wincom offer an alternative solution for creating PDF's of Office Documents without Adobe LiveCycle, called "Office PDF Worker", see:

Wincom App Center

Another of their apps, called "Representation Export UI", is meant to export multiple PDFs to a zip file on the user's hard drive, see:

Wincom App Center

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I'm not from PTC, but I will share a couple of observations.

• PTC is probably not going to develop anything that automatically dumps data outside of Windchill (like PDFs to a network folder).  Once you do that you lose all control of the data.  No way to make sure you have the right version or apply access controls.
  • Windchill already has the capability built into it to generate any type of PDF you want, whenever you want.  You can create them during check-in, during state change, during workflows, etc.  You can also create them in different configurations (latest, as-stored, baseline, etc.)
  • Windchill already provides access to these PDFs from an object's content page.
  • To make it even easier, PTC has also released the "PTC Navigate" Apps.  These provide one-click access directly to the different representations of an object (PDF, DXF, IGS, STP, JPG, STL, etc.)

Edit:  Here is a video demo of the PTC Navigate Apps:  PTC Windchill 11 Telecast: Part 4 | PTC

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

That Navigate App does sound promising.  Our company doesn't let us watch any videos so I'll have to watch it on my phone or at home.

Side note: PTC has started to release some videos as flash.  This seems to by-pass that restriction of playing videos.  At least at our place for now.

adunkelberger
4-Participant

Hi Steve, I work with a partner of PTC's. I'm excited about PTC's apps although I believe they require some sort of licensing for thingworx to utilize. I should be able to research this more I'm not exactly sure just yet.

Another alternative could be working with us. We partnered with a company called Wincom and develop similar "apps". We just had a webinar that talked about our "Content Export" app which gives you a quick wizard on top of Windchill where you can select and export various file formats. For example you could select an assembly and within that choose where and what you'd like to export (Step,IGES,DXF) or create PDFs if needed. When you get a chance check out 22:40 in this video. We can also set up triggered publishing from different lifecycle states.

Recorded Webinar Windchill Apps Series 1: Automating Common PDM Tasks & Enhancing User Experience - YouTube

- Andrew

It's good to have options so thank you for posting.  I'll keep it in mind.

Top Tags