cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Exporting Softype Definition from Windchill 9.1 System

mlokesh
1-Newbie

Exporting Softype Definition from Windchill 9.1 System

Hello Friends,

I would like to know if there are any custom utilities/reports written to export the complete Softtype Definition information from Windchill 9.1 System. The information is needed to move the complete Softtype, Attribute, and Constraint updates from Development to Test and Production servers. It is also needed to store the configuration file in SVN for new system setup.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Mahesh KL

6 REPLIES 6

Hi Mahesh,

Please have a look at below article:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS30168

Please note- It is not possible to load from and into Windchill systems of different releases like export from Windchill 9.1 and import into Windchill 10.x.

Thanks,

Shirish

Hello Shirish,

I am not able to export from 9.1 System using the Definition Loader XML. Is there any additional setting we need to do for the tool to work?

Thanks,

Mahesh KL

bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:mlokesh)

The tool Shirishkumar posted a link to is only compatible with WC 10.0 or later.

I suppose if you were able to manually create a soft type in a WC 10.0 or later system, you could use the output of the Definition Loader XML to serve as a template of sorts for constructing a LoadFromFile XML file to create an equivalent loader in the 9.1 system, since according to the article you won't be able to just load the 10.x file into 9.1.

This is a task on which I am equipped to help you out.  Let me know if you're interested!

I also have V9.1 Soft Type load files that can be used as a template if you are interested.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for correcting me. I later test this and found this. Apologize for inconvenience.

- Shirish

tstacy
1-Newbie
(To:mlokesh)

We were never able to export our soft types from our 9.1 system, but we had created load files from the start to load our soft types into our various 9.1 systems (Dev, Test, Prod).  When we upgrade to V10.2, we had to recreate our soft types in an ootb dev system, then we were able to use the Definition Exporter mentioned in the article referenced above to export the soft types in order to load them into the Test and Prod regions. After creating the definition exporters, we were able to export not only the soft types, but the layouts as well.  The only thing we are missing is an exporter for the link constraints. We have load files for them, but have to manually edit those files to include any new constraints.

Top Tags