cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Extract Creo CAD data from WindchillPDMLink

RB_10713035
1-Newbie

Extract Creo CAD data from WindchillPDMLink

I am using Windchill PDMLink Release 11.2 and Datecode with CPS 11.2.1.16

Hi Team,

Need support to extract Creo CAD data from Windchill PDMLink. This data is required for Data migration from Windchill.

what is the best way to extract Creo CAD data from Windchill PDMLink so that the CAD files will hold all the relationship between other CAD files.
is there any standard tool available to do this CAD data extraction?
As the physical files have encrypted names in the Windchill Vault, there will be any impact if we copy the files from vault and use it for data migration ?

We do have sql queries to link the EPMDocument numbers - CAD filenames and filenames in the Vault.
However please suggest what is the best way to extract CAD data so that the Data quality remains intact and not face any reference missing issues during data migration.

5 REPLIES 5

I am not an expert on this topic, but l'd like to share what I know. There are lots of PLM Service vendors who can do this for you or provide custom tools to make it easier. PTC provides Windchill Bulk Migrator as a means of data extraction and data loading. You cannot copy the CAD files from the vault because they have hashed file names which will not mean anything somewhere else. There is no quick and easy way to get ALL the CAD data out since a CAD client is required. Check out this Help Center article for more information.

PTC Doesn't provide the Windchill Bulk Migrator to end customers anymore. You have to either be a VAR, a PTC services employee, or have previously purchased WBM.

I second @ScottMorris to engage a vendor with this

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:RB_10713035)

When we did our migration from Pro/Intralink to Windchill PDMLink, we had to export all of the files from the Intralink system to disk and then we used the bulk migrator to import them into Windchill PDMLink. The export was done by taking every drawing, loading it into Wildfire and then doing a Save-As on each file. Once on disk we ran a custom ModelCheck batch program that would add new parameters that we needed for WIndchill before we did the bulk migration import.

I’ve written utility to extract files in file vaults with their Creo filenames.

Writing a utility to export the relationships between the CAD data from Windchill wouldn’t be a big deal, should be no problem.

The tricky part is the import. There are no supported APIs to created a link between an assembly and its components as this was intended to be controlled by WGM.

That said, writing directly to the dB is certainly doable in lieu of using WGM to link an assembly to its components. Same for a drawing to its model(s).

Long winded way of doable for sure, but you really need to know what you’re doing to pull this off.

Are you migrating only latest? Do you need to migrate baselines?

You really need to provide precise details on EXACTLY what you intend to migrate.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:RB_10713035)

I strongly recommend using supported migrations tools. Keep this in mind. While files in the vaults are just obfuscated filenames, Creo data at rest may not have final modifications that occur on the way to a user's workspace. This can corrupt extracted Creo data if not taken into account. For example, say I rename (renumber or change filename) of an object in Windchill. Since Creo depends upon filenames for internal references, there is a step when files are loaded to a workspace where this change is recorded in dependent files like upper assemblies. This occurs not in the vault at rest but when that file is downloaded. If I just download that assembly, it occurs each time to resolve issue. Only until I check out and check in that assembly will that filename change of a dependent permanently be written to the assembly. You are likely to have this occur. Also, I assume you are exporting flat data only, latest versions/iterations of all CAD files. That would be most sane way to approach this. Migration tools might offer a way to get all versions which would be nice for completeness.

Announcements

Top Tags