cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

FLEXnet Admin License Server - Correcting Creo User License Source

jflynn
5-Regular Member

FLEXnet Admin License Server - Correcting Creo User License Source

Hey,

Terrible Windchill Admin and Creo user here. I currently can't get my laptop to pull the floating Creo license we have. I get the following error, "License request failed for feature... Requesting PROE_EssentialsMHome... portnumber@mylaptop (-15) Cannot connect to license server system". The port number is correct, but it wants to point to my laptop instead of the network computer where the license server is installed. I haven't changed anything on the server. I recently went through a Windows update on the laptop. I've tried using the "reconfigure" shortcut in ...\FLEXnet Admin License Server\bin\ and when I enter the correct portnumber@servername it says the "status" is available. I hit "Finish" but it changes nothing in regards to where it's trying to pull the license from. When I open the reconfigure tool again, nothing has changed (i.e. portnumber@laptop). I can ping the server from my laptop and my laptop from the server. I have the right IP and computer name in my hosts file. I can open Creo on the server. The "lmadmin_ptc" service is running on the server. I've tried disabling Windows Firewall, doesn't help. I've tried added Inbound rules for the firewall, doesn't help. 

I believe this happened due to a Windows update where some network settings (maybe firewall related) were reset/changed on my laptop. Then when my laptop's Creo couldn't connect to the license server it changed the "source" locally to my computer, but who knows. I spent a bit of time browsing/searching the forum for similar posts, but didn't find anything. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jflynn)

Check your paramteric.psf file for this line:

ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=7788@<server>

It may be pointing to you laptop instead of the server.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Check your paramteric.psf file for this line:

ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=7788@<server>

It may be pointing to you laptop instead of the server.

jflynn
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

Thanks Ben. It worked, but I still don't understand why a Windows update (possibly an automatic change to Windows Firewall during the update) would manipulate a file I've never opened before. Also, why the "PTC Installation Assistant" "Setup license" task doesn't update this properly when an "Available" source is added to the "License Summary". In fact I just opend "PTC Installation Assistant" again and the current source is shown as the incorrect portnumber@laptop with a "Status" of "Unreachable" despite Creo being able to open and reach the license server properly.

Sigh....

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

When you run PTC Setup, it builds the .psf file based on inputs to thye setup program and location of where it is run from. Since you are running the setup program on your laptop, that is where the information in the .psf will be pointing to. One of the reasons I run a network install of Creo, all workstations point to the same .psf file on the server.

Top Tags