cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Family Table parts management

SwapnilKadu
1-Newbie

Family Table parts management

Hi All,

I am facing problem with family tables and its Windchill structure. Please see the problem stated in detail as below,

• We have a bolt and its family table created in the past with manual association of the WT Part and the generic Bolt part done
  • After the association the generic part is the owner and the family table instances become the content for the WT Part
  • Now I create a new assembly in ProE and use the family table instance of the bolt (i.e the content) instead of the generic bolt
  • When I check the structure for the WT Part of the newly created assembly all the parts are present in the structure
  • But after performing any operation on the WT Part (like changing the state or doing check-in check-out) the WT Part for the instance goes missing from the Windchill structure
  • This happens only for the parts which have content as relationship with the WT Part

Is there any way I can use part with 'content' as relation with the WT Partand still have it retained in the Windchill structure for the assembly in which it is used?

Thanking in anticipation.

-Swapnil Kadu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi

What is your Windchill release ?

If you are pre Windchill 10. Only the owner link drives the WTPart structure from the CAD

Content link is more used to link drawings to the WTPart

If your bolt family represents physical differents bolts (lets says with a different length), you should have a owner WTPart (with a different part number) for each of your family instances...

but

If your bolt family represents a single physical bolt (only one WTPart number), but in different "form" state (may be you use the same in all the assembly and "cut" it for manufacturing purposes ... ). Then you will not be able to drive automaticly the WTPart structure.

You will be able to do the second case in Windchill 10.

using the owner link between the single WTPart and the CAD family generic

and the image link between the single WTPart and the CAD familiy instances

regards

Gregory

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi

What is your Windchill release ?

If you are pre Windchill 10. Only the owner link drives the WTPart structure from the CAD

Content link is more used to link drawings to the WTPart

If your bolt family represents physical differents bolts (lets says with a different length), you should have a owner WTPart (with a different part number) for each of your family instances...

but

If your bolt family represents a single physical bolt (only one WTPart number), but in different "form" state (may be you use the same in all the assembly and "cut" it for manufacturing purposes ... ). Then you will not be able to drive automaticly the WTPart structure.

You will be able to do the second case in Windchill 10.

using the owner link between the single WTPart and the CAD family generic

and the image link between the single WTPart and the CAD familiy instances

regards

Gregory

Top Tags