cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Find_and_Line_number_support.pdf

SteveShaw
15-Moonstone

Find_and_Line_number_support.pdf

Short presentation on the new 10.2 M010 capability for supporting Find and Line number with Creo and Inventor

15 REPLIES 15

Hi Stephen,

This capability will be supported for Solidworks?

Thanks,

Ramon

SteveShaw
15-Moonstone
(To:SteveShaw)

Support for Solidworks is being considered for a future release.

kpritchard
4-Participant

It's kind of a shame that this could not have been driven by the index number that Creo automatically generates.  I'll prbably look at developing some kind of script that numbers.  The example is an assembly that is of a relatively manageable size... the manual setting of the FINDNUMBER Parameter would be onerous and error prone with much larger, real world assemblies.

That being said, I can see that the connection is between the CAD Assembly and the Part Structure, and between the CAD Structure and the repat Region - so much, much better than nothing

Same thing for the Line Number attribute in Windchill BOMs

mandatory for some ERP integration , but no way OOTB to prepopulate value in this field ....

have to set it manually ...  unconfortable , even if we have assembly from "only" 30 to 1000 parts

and the control is only done in ESI workflow.  So the error if not filed is very late.   Totallly unconfortable .....

Steve,

I'm looking for a similar functionality in the Catia V5 integration, is it available? We are currently running 10.2 M030.

Alex

SteveShaw
15-Moonstone

Unfortunately, this capability is not available for Catia.  Apparently, there are some technical challenges in delivering this capability with Catia that has prevented us from making this available.  Below is an update of the CAD tools we currently support for both the bottom-up (build from CAD) and top down (edit in Part structure and propagate down to CAD):

• Bottom-up:
    • PTC Creo (10.2 M010)
    • Autodesk Inventor (10.2 M010)
    • Solidworks (11.0 F000)
    • NX (11.0 F000)
  • Top-down:
    • PTC Creo (11.0 F000)
    • NX (11.0 F000)

Does this apply one component at a time or to individual components - that is, does marking one of a set of identical parts in an assembly mark all of them with the same find number. Conversely, is it possible to give identical parts different find numbers?

Hi David,

If you are looking for unique find numbers for different instances of the same part in an assembly, I'd suggest using the Reference Designator field. In Catia V5, the Reference Designator is mapped to the Instance Name of the CAD assembly, which has to be unique within the assembly.

Alex

SteveShaw
15-Moonstone

For CAD driven structures the Find Number must be the same for all instances of the same component in a given assembly as they build/correspond to a single usage in the BOM having multiple occurrences.  As suggested by Alex if you are looking to differentiate between each of these instances you may want to look at the using Reference Designators which map to component names in Creo.

I am looking for how it functions, not what is a desirable outcome.

If there are 1000 rivets does the interface propagate the item number assignment to all of them based on selecting the first one or does a user have to pick them one at a time. Also, I've come across situations where the ERP system has been used to assign the same part to different item numbers within the same structure, owing to the ERP system not caring and the users not noticing an item was already used - Often when a fastener is replaced with another, but keeping the original item number and not folding the quantity into another find number already in use.

SteveShaw
15-Moonstone

If defining this value from the CAD assembly you only need to specify a value for one of the instances and it will propagate to the Part structure appropriately.  you are not required to fill in the value for all instances.

Steve,

We are very interested in knowing more details about the challenges in implementing this in V5 in our company, would you be able to point me to a subject matter expert within PTC that could explain in more details the reasons why this cannot be done in V5?

Alex

That seems easier than creating and managing the component parameters on their own - I assume the propagation is handled in Windchill or is Creo responsible for making the assignments uniform?

SteveShaw
15-Moonstone

The assignment is made uniform on the Windchill side when the corresponding (WTPart) Product Structure is built.  I don't believe it will auto-fill this on every instance of CAD component, this I would need to check.  Note, that in Windchill 11 for Creo and NX you can assign these values on the Product Structure from the PSB and propagate them down to CAD (top-down).  This relies on the same configuration and attribute mapping setup as required for pushing this data from CAD to product structure (bottom-up).

Hi Steve,

After looking through some of the comments.  Do you know if there is a way to automatically publish Reference Designator names on a W2 structure?  Or from Creo is it possible to automatically publish Feature names?  I have done some searching and am not coming up with anything.  I'm not to familiar with programming in Creo myself but I would guess that could be a option.

Top Tags