cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Find number and line numbers in PDMLink 9.1

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Find number and line numbers in PDMLink 9.1

I am looking for a good example to clear up some confusion about the new
release. In 8.0, we had Line numbers. My organization used the term
Find number to mean the same thing analogous to balloons on an assembly
drawing. So we equated the two and life was happy. Now I see that
version 9.1 has Line number AND Find Number attributes. I read the
online help description and it was useless. I would like to use just the
traditional Line number but I also see that the OOTB report for showing
BOM notes displays notes by Find number. Please reply with some good
differentiating examples.

7 REPLIES 7

Find numbers and Line numbers in 10.1 M040 have no correlation to Creo drawing repeat region item numbers. I have heard of others creating a usage attribute on an assembly, entering it into the repeat region, and passing them into Windchill. I think you would then need a customization to synchronize this attribute with Find Number.

In a particular Product Structure, you can repeat Find Numbers. You cannot repeat Line Numbers. This is useful when you have more than one CAD object linked to a WTPart, (1 Owner, >=1 Image) and those CAD objects are in the same assembly. Cables and cable ties are a good example. The repeated Find Number objects would not have a Line Number.

When we were on 9.1, we used both Find Numbers and Line Numbers since the BOM Edit Screen only sorted by Line Number! 10.1 can sort by any column so we no longer create Line Numbers. One caution, if you are using Import From Spreadsheet, the Line Numbers have to match, even if you don't display it..

J.P. Vanasse
Global IT, R&D Surgical Franchises

20511 Lake Forest Dr., Lake Forest, CA 92630, USA
T +1 949.505.7804 | F +1 949.505.6270 | M +1 714.612.3823

[cid:image001.png@01CE1FC3.11B93FC0]

We asked PTC TS a similar question, eventually they admited that no OOTB solution is available now for that, but they are working to provide an appropriate API to enable this information to flow from the Drawing to the WTPart in a future release.

It seems that it is complicated to extract the values from the repeat region out in a manner that it can be transferred to the WTPartUsageLink easilly.

From WC 10.2 M010 onwards supported to publish find and line number from CAD to WTPart. This is for Creo and Autodesk Inventor

Thanks,

Shakil

I think the reason to have this information on WTPart is the publish this information to downstream application such as ERP. I see couple of customers who are manually adding this on WTPart and publishing to ERP system.

Thanks,

Shakil

As Shakil stated, we use the Find Number in downstream MRP. We are moving toward using the WTPart as the central holder or jump off point for all Product Data. Input to MRP comes from Product Structure, including Find Numbers, which has to match the drawing balloons. This is a manual and sometimes lengthy process since we use Pro Process assemblies in our assembly drawings and each step has its own Repeat Region. We copy the region forward to reduce Find Number errors, but are challenged during revisions that only include a few steps.

J.P. Vanasse
Global IT, R&D Surgical Franchises

20511 Lake Forest Dr., Lake Forest, CA 92630, USA
T +1 949.505.7804 | F +1 949.505.6270 | M +1 714.612.3823

[cid:image001.png@01CE1FC3.11B93FC0]
Top Tags