cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Folder replication & Japanese folder names

ehill
1-Newbie

Folder replication & Japanese folder names

I am trying to set up a replicated file server here in the US for our Japanese division's database. I have everything pretty well set up and working, but I have run into some trouble getting the replication process automated.

I have written a script that loops through the list of folders from a text file, and executes the purge & replicate commands for each folder. This works fine with replication I have set up for replication of our US division's English server database. The issue is centered around the Japanese (Kanji?) characters that are used to show the "Root Folder" base name. The folder name I see is a mix of Japanese & English characters, e.g. /ルートフォルダー/TEST The commands execute just fine if I enter them manually in a DOS window, by copying & pasting the folder name I exported using the folder list report. When I extract them from the text file via a DOS script, the log reports that it can't find the folder, but the characters do not match the text file list:

For example, the list says:

/ルートフォルダー/TEST

but the error message refers to it as:

・ソ/繝ォ繝シ繝医ヵ繧ゥ繝ォ繝繝シ/TEST

Any ideas? I can't find much of anything concerning DOS scripts and Japanese characters.

Eric Hill
Staff Engineer
ASM America
(T) 602.470.2720
(F) 602.470.0747

1 REPLY 1
ehill
1-Newbie
(To:ehill)

The solution was beautifully simple, as suggested by one of colleagues in Japan.

I opened the folder list text file in Notepad, and performed a Save As - selecting ANSI as the encoding option.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Eric Hill
Staff Engineer
ASM America
(T) 602.470.2720
(F) 602.470.0747

Top Tags