cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Generating BOM from AutoCAD drawing

sp-2
1-Newbie

Generating BOM from AutoCAD drawing

Hi,

We have a requirement to generate BOM from AutoCAD drawing. In the drawing the designers put BOM details (Part Number, Drscription etc) using blocks in AutoCAD. I can import the drawing using WGM for AutoCAD but I will not be able to generate BOM using part details mentioned in the drawing blocks.

Is there any way to generate BOM by reading the block details while checkin the drawing?

Please suggest

Thanks

Sitanshu

2 REPLIES 2
cc-2
6-Contributor
(To:sp-2)

Hi

I do not know that way but what about another way.

The BOM is first created in PDMLink (using WTpart) and then the users upload the autocad drawings into the corresponding WTpart.

I guess this could be OK for new drawings but for legacy data....

Also Windchill has a Workgroup CAD Manager for autocad. have you tried this, this should then work more like when you have ProE integrated and the BOM should be created automatically on check in

sp-2
1-Newbie
(To:sp-2)

Thanks for suggestions. The problem is designers put the BOM data in a table in AutoCAD drawing, and they want some mechanism to generate BOM using the table. One work around I found is to first create drawing and while check in create wtPart for that that drawing. And then use the loafFromSpreadsheet tool to generate BOM. This is a bit manual process. Trying to generate BOM while check in. Yes, we are using WGM for AutoCAD, Creo and MathCAD.
ThanksSitanshu
Top Tags