cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Has anyone ever use a touch screen monitor with stylus to red line a drawing using Creo View? Is there a touch screen monitor compatible with Creo View?

jgronwick
3-Visitor

Has anyone ever use a touch screen monitor with stylus to red line a drawing using Creo View? Is there a touch screen monitor compatible with Creo View?

8 REPLIES 8
MartinHill
4-Participant
(To:jgronwick)

Did you ever get around to trying this?

The PTC documentation shows that touch screens and hand gestures are supported by CreoView when viewing and annotating 3D models but there is no information regarding the mark-up of 2D drawings.

We are using PDF for the drawing viewable and I am also keen to try touch screens but there is no confirmation that the PDF mark-up features will support hand gestures.

donstucke
6-Contributor
(To:MartinHill)

Great question - This functionality could be very useful for our company as well. 

I will try to do a test of this next week. 

donstucke
6-Contributor

I just did a quick test with a Wacom Cintiq display.  I was able to use the CREO View freehand markup tool with the stylus on the screen, it's a significant improvement compared to drawing with a mouse. However the user-interface is difficult because you need to re-select the freehand tool icon to make a subsequent mark anytime the stylus is lifted off the screen.  I've seen some posts here about this same issue making the tools use difficult with a mouse, hopefully it's something that the PTC developers are aware of and has on a list to improve usability.  

I have a Microsoft Surface Tablet as well but need to get some help installing CREO View in order to test the stylus/touch-screen usability there.  Given that the Wacom Cintiq worked without any special set-up, I expect the Surface will also work easily. 

MartinHill
4-Participant
(To:donstucke)

Thanks for the update.

We have just ordered a 55inch 4k touchscreen for digital drawing mark-up. It will give almost 1:1 scale for an A0 drawing size.

I will let you know how we get on when it has been set-up. We will use it for 3D design review as well.

I have used a small Wacom tablet to do red-lining and mark-up and did not have the problem of having to re-select the freehand icon.

A problem that I did have was that if you paused, the red-line would be applied and when you tried to continue drawing the pointer would select the existing red-line instead of continuing to draw.

MartinHill
4-Participant
(To:donstucke)

We are having the same problem with the mark-up icon de-selecting when you take your finger or pen off the touch screen.

Strangely the behaviour is completely different when using a mouse or touch pad to mark-up.

This is so frustrating. It is almost exactly what we need with the exception of this annoying feature.

MartinHill
4-Participant

We have things working exactly as we want them now. The funny thing is that we solved our problems by avoiding using the CreoView Mark-up icons. If you turn on the commenting and mark-up toolbar in Acrobat DC using these icons works very well. All mark-ups and comments are still saved to Windchill as annotation sets. You also get the other nice tools that Acrobat has which PTC have not included in CreoView markup.

Martin,

Can you detail the hardware you are using and a quick step by step?

How are you able to save the annotation sets?

Jason

MartinHill
4-Participant
(To:jgronwick)

As stated previously we are using a Dell 55 inch touch screen monitor but I assume that other touch screen monitors would work the same.

The Dell that we have comes with an OptiPlex PC running Windows 10 mounted in the back of the monitor.

However it is not light! It comes in around 55 Kg so needs a substantial stand to mount it on. We used an old drawing board base.

The red line mark-ups are saved as annotation sets exactly the same as if they had been drawn with a mouse.

Top Tags