cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How can I add pdf files to Windchill so our operations can view our production files?

dconner
3-Visitor

How can I add pdf files to Windchill so our operations can view our production files?

We use Windchill's PDMLink for our Creo files, but we use a homegrown solution to publish PDF files for the rest of the organization's use.  We need to get rid of our homegrown solution due to our export controlled documentation doesn't meet specifications.  Any help is hugely appreciated.

thank you.

--Doug Conner

4 REPLIES 4
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:dconner)

Multiple approaches can be used of course.

Where I used to work we did this:

- Publish all CAD to .plt format (Creo) or .dwg format (SolidWorks)

- Publish all MS Word to PDF (requires LiveCycle and additional license)

- Users access all via published thumbnails which launches CreoView

- Apply Windchill watermarking in CreoView, variable by state (e.g. PRELIMINARY, PROTOTYPE, RELEASED, etc.)

- Users create PDF's from Creo View (PDF of PDF for Word), including watermark, which provides traceability of every drawing / document outside Windchill to an exact search / version in Windchill.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

We have a CAD worker that publishes all Creo jobs that are checked in. It also publishes all Creo files submitted for promotion.

We obtained LiveCycle, but then management decided the native MS Office files were good enough, so we never installed LiveCycle.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

You can configure a CAD worker to post publish pdf's, dxf,s, etc. We do this here so every Creo Parametric Drawing is published with the "standard" hpgl viewable plus a pdf and a dxf. There are several previous posts dealing with post publishing. You can search for them by searching for post publish or post publishing.

Hi Doug,

there are many posts on this forum related to this topic. It is a common issue when an organisation does not want to provide direct access to everyone.

There are 3rd party softwares approved by PTC that work as listener and pdf can be created (or deleted) outside of Winchill based on rules such as location, life states, type, file extensation etc....

I do not want to advertize any in particular and can also only talk about the one I have implemented for my organisation. msg me if you want..

Bottom line, is that your issue sounds a very easy to solve

Top Tags