cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How can I delete parent child relationships in Windchill/Creo 2.0

jkatz
1-Newbie

How can I delete parent child relationships in Windchill/Creo 2.0

I created a simple assembly for checking purposes and a permanent reference was attached to the child even though I deleted that child from the parent assembly. I can't get rid of the assembly from my workspace. Please help.

7 REPLIES 7

Did you save and uploaded the assembly after you deleted the component from the assembly? What you see in the workspace is an interpretation by Windchill of the relationships between Creo documents. This interpretation is done during the upload, at least, as far as I understand. In the past, I corrected a similar situation by readding the component, save and upload, reremove it, save and upload.

I miss spoke...I did check in the assembly to the server. It is from my server 'sandbox' that I cannot delete the assembly.

jkatz
1-Newbie
(To:jkatz)

Comment: It seems quite cumbersome that every piece of hardware (child) would have a permanent relationship to every assembly (parent) where it was ever attached and vice versa. I come from an Inventor background and am accustomed to design development using temporary references without permanent consequences.

Thank you for your suggestion Hugo. Please forgive my frustration I am new to Windchill/Creo.

No problem. Indeed, there is a permanent link from every piece of hardware to each assembly where it ever has been used. The only way to get rid of it is to delete older iterations of those assemblies.

Confirmation appreciated, I'll let it go and be more careful:(

ehorn
13-Aquamarine
(To:jkatz)

Yes this is a huge issue when trying to remove anything from the system. What I end up doing is using Purge to remove old iterations of CAD assemblies in order to delete the old iterations.

Funny for wtparts this is an easy task, as they have an actions available to delete old iterations. But no such luck to do this for CAD assembly. So this means we usually never delete anything and just keep files around forever.

Top Tags