cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

How can i control check in checkout of files by EXCEL macros

ptc-4586287
1-Newbie

How can i control check in checkout of files by EXCEL macros

Hi friends

I would like to control checkout and checkin functions of windchil using excel macros..

please can anybody guide me how to make it

Thanks in advance

Regards

Sharath.A

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:ptc-4586287)

Can you explain in more detail what you are trying to do and why?

As far as I know there is no functionality for an excel macro to manipulate a Windchill session.

If i have lot of files to check in and i have lot of modified item by date, i need to check in now. It will take time if i check in through normal process.. I would like to have a excel with macros. where i copy all my file numbers and latest revisions... then i will sync.. it with windchill using desktop integration..

Is there any possibility of having macros to check in automatically.. so that i can keep it for checkin and i can go for a walk with tea

As Ben mentioned, I wonder about this requirement too. If the use case is, open document from Windchill, checkout, modify, checkin, it can better be satisfied with DTI.

Anyways, its doable with Excel macros. You create Info Engine Tasks for checkout and checkin. Then invoke them from Excel Macro. As macro runs, it will prompt user to sign into Windchill. For checkin, you will need to save file locally and stream it to IE Task with BlobCount=1.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ptc-4586287)

I am not aware of any means of scripting a checkin or checkout action with Excel Macros. If you can identify the updated files on your local hard drive, you can just drag-n-drop them to a Windows Explorer window open to your Windchill server with Desktop Integration.

You don't need to drop each file into their "home" folder in Windchill. Drop them on any folder in Windchill and they will auto-resolve where they need to be checked in to.

The only caveat to this process is that you cannot mix existing files ready for checkin with new files that do not exist in Windchill. You will need to drag-n-drop the group of new files first and then drag-n-drop the checkin files next.

Windchill 10.2 offers a capability to identify which files have been in Windchill using Desktop Integration. Check out all the new features with the presentation linked to What's New in Windchill 10.2 M010-M030 for Document Management.

Top Tags