cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How do I restrict revisions on unreleased parts.

cschmid
12-Amethyst

How do I restrict revisions on unreleased parts.

We have a problem at my company where we have a lot of family parts.  They family parts are all very similar sometimes and controlled by only a few parameters.  
The problem is when multiple engineers need to create a new iteration of the family.  If  I revise parts and the drawing  to create my part and then another engineer creates a new revision over the top of my revision before I am ready to release.  

Now I have a drawing which I wanted to release at revision "B", but the family table and models are at Revision "C" because someone has revised the model and I accidentally updated my workspace.  If I print the drawing it now includes the new parts in the family table and they are not mentioned in the title block because another engineer is working on revision above. 

Is there a way to restrict revisions to only released parts?  I would be fine with including his part on my revision, but I want to prevent other engineers from leap-frogging my revision before I release.

Can anyone explain a solution?

1 REPLY 1
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:cschmid)

I am guessing you do not hyave a PLM system controlling your documnets as that would prevent this from happening. The PLM system woul lock the file to as checked-out and no one could do another revision until you have checked-in your rev B files.

Without a PLM system to lock files, it will always be: He who files last wins!

The only thing I can think of is to have a librarian for family table parts and only that person is authorized to make changes to the files. Then an email request to add new parts is submitted, the files updated and an email sent to the organization that the XYZ family table is now at rev B and available for use.

As a side note, what sort of parts are you putting into a family table that require a lot of editting? FT parts are best if they are parts that are seldom modified and only occasionally added to. I use FT parts for our standard commercial hardware, nuts, screws, bolts, washers, etc.

Top Tags