cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How do I set revision of imported legacy cad data to the "current revision", say Rev B.2 for example?

MikeGwin
1-Newbie

How do I set revision of imported legacy cad data to the "current revision", say Rev B.2 for example?

I have legacy data from Pro IntraLink that I want to import into Windchil PDM Essentials.

However, most of the legacy data is not at Rev A.1.

So how do I import the legacy data and set at a revision higher than Rev A.1...say Rev B.2 for example.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There is are options in the preferences to Allow Override on Create New CAD Document also Insert and Revise

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MikeGwin)

You can't do the ".2" part but you can do the "B" part.  Enable the system preference "Allow Override On Create CAD Document"

revise.PNG

MikeGwin
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

That option if already set to yes.

Is this only for documents being "created" in widchill or creo?

Will this option work for importing documents into windchill?

If so, where do you access the revision to change it. In Intralink it was easy to "modify" the file and select the revision. You could jump forward but not backward.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I'm actually not sure.  I think you may actually want to look at your lifecycle template.  If you allow revise from the first state back to the first state again, Windchill will allow you to set the revision of new objects in your workspace (regardless of how they got there) before checking in.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Thinking about this more...

If this option is enabled, it will allow you to select the revision from a drop down on the "create object" wizard in Windchill.

If the lifecycle template allows revise (like mentioned above), then you simply use the revise icon to set the target revision letter.

You may want to also read this article:  https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS127643

dgrobe
6-Contributor

i am having the same issue.  when i import from intralink into windchill, everything is seen as new.  which is fine.  however in order to set my revision, it only allows numbers, not letters.  i cant select A, B, C or anything of that matter.  only numbers.

Daniel,

I assume by "only numbers" you mean 1.1, 2.1 or 1.0, 2.0 and not -.0, -.1 or -.2

Then it appears that your Windchill Install was configured to use "Simple Number" Version Shceme as opposed to "Simple Letter" or ASME 14.35 Version Schemes.

Remember it is Version = Revison.Iteration, So Version A.5 is Revision A Iteration 5

Simple # = 1.1, 2.1, 3.1

Simple Letter = A.1, A.2,....

ASME = -.1, A.1, B.1 or -.0, A.0, B.0

See below: (the graphic is not 100% correct)

Windchill also allows you to configure with a starting "Iteration" = 0 instead of 1.

The Out of the Box Install will let you choose the three version schemes but they will all start with Iteration=1.

Mike

dgrobe
6-Contributor

thank you.  correct.  our revisions are set to 1.1, 1.2, and so on.. up to 99.  im not worried about a 0 itteration.

i remember the guy who did the original setup for us, asked us if we use number or letter.  we told him numbers.  so i assume he only setup simple#.

We are going through different things to see if we can fix this or not.  im worried our original setup was simple# setup.  Being windchill light, we probably only allowed one way or the other.  not both im assuming?  im trying to get our administrator as much information as i can.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

It may seem not so important, but believe it that you have to be very precise on terminology.  Different words are used for the same concept and the same words are used for different concepts.

One is key the difference between old Intralink: Set Release Level and Windchill: Revise.

All the terminology is spelled out and comparisons exist.  Need to carefully study each of 1/2 dozen terms in Windchill.

There is are options in the preferences to Allow Override on Create New CAD Document also Insert and Revise

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

This has been an issue here. If an item is created and structured but the user fails to set the revision properly, there needs to be a way for the administrator to alter a revision. I can understand the mess that this could cause but it would be invaluable to ensuring that the data is correct.  It can be next to impossible to change what amounts to a single letter in a few fields to another letter.  We are forced to remove and delete to try again. Wasteful.

Top Tags