cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How do you decide what business processes belong in Windchill?

mdebower
18-Opal

How do you decide what business processes belong in Windchill?

Heya!

Our company is going through some pains trying to figure out what business processes belong in Windchill and which don't. So I am wondering what other, smarter people have done...

We are currently thinking of a Checklist / Questionarie:

* Access?

* Engineering data affected?

* Collaboration

* Revision Control

* Etc...

What have you done?

-marc
TriMark Corporation
CAD / PLM Systems Manager

Trimark Values: Integrity Respect Accountability Innovative Teamwork

4 REPLIES 4

Hey Marc,

I am late with this post but am curious to see how you did it in the end

Aleksandra

We haven't made much progress in this area and are still trying to figure out a best practice.

In the meantime, since I asked this, we have been focused on other areas and haven't gotten around to looking at this in greater detail either, but I am sure it will raise it's ugly head sooner or later.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:mdebower)

With ingenuity, can implement pretty much any business process in Windchill - using types, attributes, workflow templates, reports, baselines, managed collections, meetings, action items, etc.

My opinion after lots of years of this is that only those processes that deal directly with product data should in fact be implemented in Windchill. But, this is still extremely broad.  Some ideas of what we had in place / considered in the past beyond the standards:

- Track what labels (or software screens) mention a Patent; tie together patent expiration, status, etc.

- Various "request" processes including prototypes, FEA studies, lab tests, special purchases, etc.

- First article and similar studies

- Tracking of exact configuration of pre-production units (variety of Windchill tools / objects may apply)

- Include permanently all training exercise data (in isolated Library or Project)

Primary consideration for whether to manage in PDMLink or ProjectLink is likely whether it needs Revision control.

Do you have any kind of process mapping standard guideline in place?

Top Tags