cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How does replication work ?

adoudelet
4-Participant

How does replication work ?

Hello,

I just finished to read " PTC Windchill Vaulting and Replication Planning " and I still have 2 questions about replication :

1. Why the content ( A on the illustration bellow) is store in RDBMS database and not in the external vault?  

Capture.JPG

2. If a user upload or check in a content on a remote file server, when are the metadata sent to the master server ? ( at the upload/check in of the content ? )

Thanks a lot

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Best regards,

Alex

3 REPLIES 3

1. The property "wt.fv.forceContentToVault" set to false. By default all files store in blobs.
2. You can set up three types of file vaults: Cache, Master and Replica.

https://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/123336/en/WindchillVaultReplication.pdf

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:adoudelet)

Metadata is always stored in Oracle on the main server.

File contetnt is stored locally on the replica server, then at specified time intervals the main vault and the replica vault are symced. We had a 4 hour sync time when I had a replica server in another state. This worked for us because they were the only ones modifying data for that project. Hardware items were shared between the host and the replica so on the fly downloads were not done on those parts.

When retrieving parts from the remote site, the system would look locally first, then go back to the host if the file could not be found. Oracle would be checked in background as to where the latest version was.

adoudelet
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

Hi,

Thank you and Sergey for your anwsers.

It helps a lot to understand how it works.

Alex

Top Tags