cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

How often do you restart Windchill services?

RyanTesta
1-Newbie

How often do you restart Windchill services?

I'm guessing most will agree that it is not practical to leave Windchill services running forever. As a preventative measure, do you restart Windchill on a regular basis? How often? Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Only if there is a problem?

For comparison, here are our stats:

75 CAD users, 25 non-CAD users

Server architecture: Sun Solaris

Restart Frequency: Monthly, or if there is a problem

We have experienced more issues with hung method servers lately and are forced to kill or restart. I’m wondering if this preventative approach is helpful for others. Please share any thoughts or experiences on this topic.

-Ryan Testa

15 REPLIES 15

We use Windchill one week, then SmartTeam the next - and let Windchill rest every other week. Just kidding of course...

How do keep from restarting during backup - do you do hot backup?

We do bi-weekly cold backups. So, obviously we stop all the services during
that time.
Sometimes we end up restarting the services in between due to some problem
or the other.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Lockwood,Mike,IRVINE,R&D <
mike.lockwood@alconlabs.com> wrote:

> We use Windchill one week, then SmartTeam the next – and let Windchill
> rest every other week. Just kidding of course…
>
>
>
> How do keep from restarting during backup - do you do hot backup?
>
>
>
> *From:* Ryan Testa [

We do hot backups (exports) on the DB nightly, hourly exports of the local ldap and vault data is stored on a redundant array. If Windchill method servers were not locking up, we would have no need to restart services other than for upgrades and maintenance.

If I missed this I am sorry, but what Version and datecode are you running?

We restart only once a month for Windows patching.
LiuLiang
4-Participant
(To:RyanTesta)

We do weekly restart on our Windows 32 bit Windchill application server with 9.1 M040 installed.
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

On 02/01/11 16:58, Ryan Testa wrote:
>
> I'm guessing most will agree that it is not practical to leave Windchill
> services running forever. As a preventative measure, do you restart Windchill
> on a regular basis? How often? Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Only if there is a
> problem?
>

Windchill PDMLink 9.1 M050 running on Solaris 10
Shutdown nightly for backup as follows:
1. shutdown Windchill (including Oracle)
2. zfs snapshot
3. restart Windchill
4. backup the zfs snapshot

So total downtime is about 2-3 minutes.

> For comparison, here are our stats:
>
> 75 CAD users, 25 non-CAD users
>
> Server architecture: Sun Solaris
>
> Restart Frequency: Monthly, or if there is a problem
>
> We have experienced more issues with hung method servers lately and are forced
> to kill or restart. I'm wondering if this preventative approach is helpful
> for others.Please share any thoughts or experiences on this topic.
>
> -Ryan Testa
>
>
> -----End Original Message-----

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401
email: -
Phone: 785-823-3276
Fax: 785-667-2695
------------------------------------------------------------------------

We run 9.0 M080 on windows 32 bit. We restart windchill, Tomcat & Apache
after clearing the tomcat and windchill cache every week. It runs great
without a restart for 2 or 3 weeks but we do not want to take a chance.

Best Regards

Rajesh Balasundaram
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Windchill 9.1 M020 running on Solaris 10
Runs until I have to load a patch. Server and DB on Netapp filer which handles hourly, nightly and weekly snapshots. Backups occur on weekends but they are hot backups. MethodServer may restart itself but system is running for weeks.

At the end of the day it depends on the situation, if you face any issue or
the server is slow may be restart can help you out there.

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Balasundaram, Rajesh <
rajesh.balasundaram@corning.com> wrote:

> We run 9.0 M080 on windows 32 bit. We restart windchill, Tomcat & Apache
> after clearing the tomcat and windchill cache every week. It runs great
> without a restart for 2 or 3 weeks but we do not want to take a chance.
>
>
>
> Best Regards
>
> Rajesh Balasundaram

I have seen many companies be successful with nightly cold, incremental backups where the three main services are stopped (windchill, tomcat and apache) and full cold backups on the weekends. If they have partners overseas using Windchill or in different time zone it can be tricky getting a scenario that includes a solid, nightly cold backup within the small time frame but usually there is a solution.

[cid:image001.gif@01CBC2BB.2E4444D0]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

We do a nightly restart starting at 19:30. I have a cron job that automatically restarts tomcat, and windchill.

Thanks

Alexius C. Chukwuka
IT Analyst, PDP Systems
John Deere Power Systems
Product Engineering Center
*Voice: 319-292-8575
*Mobile: 319-429-5336
*Fax:319-292-6282
*E-Mail: -
CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to Deere & Company, or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

Yes....we do it as Steve describes it....of course, his company helped set us up 🙂
Nightly cold incremental backups and one full backup every weekend Sat night/Sun morning at 2AM. Our locations are mainly in the U.S. so the down time has not been an issue.....but we stop and restart pretty much every day.

Mike -

We do a cold backup every night,

-full oracle backup,

- differential vaults backup,

- weekly full backup on saturdays.

Vincent Quesnoit

In Reply to Alexius Chukwuka:

We do a nightly restart starting at 19:30. I have a cron job that automatically restarts tomcat, and windchill.

Thanks

Alexius C. Chukwuka
IT Analyst, PDP Systems
John Deere Power Systems
Product Engineering Center
*Voice: 319-292-8575
*Mobile: 319-429-5336
*Fax:319-292-6282
*E-Mail: -
CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to Deere & Company, or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

Besides for patching, maintenance,upgrades,and cold backups, Windchill shouldNOT need to be restarted frequently. I understand the struggle to stabilize Windchill and even trusting Windchill to continue to run without suddenly crashing. It seems like many are restarting Windchill as a safety net to avoidcustomersbecoming disgruntled.Been there as well. In any case, Windchill should not have to be restarted for any reason other than those simliar to the ones mentioned above. If your system is crashing unexpectantly, I wouldn't settle for workarounds. I would strongly considerensuring that the system is stable via PTC or any other means. It may just be a matterof performance tuning.

Good luck withWindchill. It's a monster.

We restart every night on a cron job for backup purposes.
Top Tags