cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to Add a new Role to Multiple Existing Products

ScottPearson
3-Visitor

How to Add a new Role to Multiple Existing Products

I am creating a new Role which I need to add to about 350 existing Products in my Windchill installation.

It appears that my only option is to add that Role to each Product Team one Product at a time.

And, or course, then I will need to add Members to that Role in each Product..., which also appears to be a "one Product at a time" ordeal.

Has anyone discovered a method to add a new Role to MULTIPLE existing Product Teams all at once?

Likewise with adding adding Members to that Role all at once across all the existing Product Teams.

Note: For future Products, I am creating a new Product Template which will contain the new Role..., but adding the new Role to existing Products Teams quickly is a problem.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

Wow - 350 Product contexts.

In this case, probably best to load from CSV convered to XML via a Windchill shell command. 

One example:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS20032?&language=en&posno=2&q=add%20role%20to%20products%20loadfromfile&source=search

Likely will want to also add group(s) to the new Role.  Here is a related article:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS23194?&language=en&posno=1&q=add%20role%20to%20products%20loadfromfile&source=search

This can and should be automated using a script.

What version of Windchill are you on?

What's the name of your new role?

Do you have a map or file that maps the user(s) you want to add to the new role in all 350 Products?

<Product Name>=<username>

Or can you get the user from some other logic such as the users in Role X in Team Y

or

the users in Group Z.

Anything to get them data using logic rather than manually?

David

Top Tags