cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to Checkin only the instance which I modified, instead collecting Generic to be checkedout.

taruchamy
10-Marble

How to Checkin only the instance which I modified, instead collecting Generic to be checkedout.

Dear Experts,

I have a family table with few instances associated with WTParts.

Add to Workspace the instance [Generic is added to workspace - I don't want to happen]

Wanted to modify values of the instance alone [ Generic is asked to be checked out - I don't want this to happen]

Checkin the instance to iterate the version along with WTPart. Generic to remain same.

Any thoughts, if there any preference to achieve this.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:taruchamy)

Can't do that!

There is no ' independent file' of the instance. The Generic is the only file stored on disk and MUST be checked out and modified in order to modify any instance.

Adding an instance to a workspace will always bring along the generic as the generic is the file. No way around this.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Can't do that!

There is no ' independent file' of the instance. The Generic is the only file stored on disk and MUST be checked out and modified in order to modify any instance.

Adding an instance to a workspace will always bring along the generic as the generic is the file. No way around this.

Hi Ben,

Thanks..

I see this is possible in Pro/Intralink.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

It should work the same way in Intralink 8.0+ and PDMLink 7.0+.

If it is functioning differently, then I would guess the WGM has been implemented differently, though I can not imagine why.

When dealing with family table modifications, you should always work from the generic, except in rare occasions where an instances needs a simple mod. If it was me, I'd pull the instance from the FT and make it a standalone part.

Which Pro/Intralink? There are two of them. One was a stand-alone application created by PTC and the other is a specific interface into Windchill that was called Intralink.

I don't recall the ability to check out an instance without getting the Generic in the stand-alone Intralink. It makes no sense. It is like modifying a sheet in an Excel workbook and saying you want to save only that sheet, but not the workbook. There is only one file for the Generic or all the instances and that file can have only one state.

The real problem is that the Windchill group didn't force all the instances to have the same revision as the Generic; they are all based on a single CAD file and that file can have only one version at a time. I think the Windchill architecture was set long before PTC acquired the Windchill company.

Hi David,

It is Pro/I 3.4

I remember the system preference which is loaded to checkout only the instance for modification and iteration.

Not sure if that is exposed to the users.

Thanks

Gagan
7-Bedrock
(To:BenLoosli)

Hello Ben

If i am not wrong if we want to modify even one instense ,its generic and all the instense has to be checked  , this is the same behavior in Windchill 9.1 .is is possible to modify one one intense and check in which out checking out the other instenses ?

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:Gagan)

This can happen when the Generic part and table were created before a certain revision of Windchill. There is Windchill metadata that needs to be updated and it makes it necessary for it to be applied to all the instances. AFAIK, it's a one-time update.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Gagan)

Might be possible, but would require extra work that could cause the FT to fail at some point in the future.

When I open the generic to modify it, the system wants to check out all instances. I suppose you could only check out the 1 and continue with the others.

There are some very important preferences which govern whether just selected plus Generic or All family table instances are: Revised, Checked Out.  Worth looking at and testing these.

Hi Mike,

Any "specific" preference you are quoting at ?

All preference I see is related to Family Table is based on collections.

Thanks

Yes, the collector preference - specifically for Revise.

pmooteri
12-Amethyst

Hi Murthi,

Can you please let me know, which CAD Tool & WGM / Windchill that you are working?

I agree with Ben's comment on with respect to behaviour of generic & instances. Even with preference "Independently Modify Instances", it would bring along generic with instances.

Regards,

Pankaj Mooteri

Product Manager - PTC WGM

Hi Pankaj,

WC 10.1 M030 with Creo 2.0 M170

I dont want to break the table, just because to edit a dimension for few cases , but I need the instance to be connected with the table for future.

Thanks

This little test is worth doing for anyone working with family tables:

- Create a family table (aka SolidWorks configuration) with two instances.

- Check in to Windchill; note that a Generic and two instances are created as separate Windchill CAD Documents

- From CAD, backup to local disk (for Creo, File, Save As, Backup); note on local disk that there is only one file

- In Windchill, look at each of the CAD Docs, Content tab; note that only the Generic has a file

That's just how it works - and why it's so complex for the PLM system to handle.

And at least I should restrict iteration to other instances in the FT when I make change to one of the instance ?

Thanks

Top Tags