cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to both associate to a part and use a template when you add a new document

JørnAHansen
2-Guest

How to both associate to a part and use a template when you add a new document

In Windchill 10.0 one of the things I had whished for since we started using Windchill 9.0 finally is possible.

Do this:

1. On the info page of the part you want to associate your new document to go to the 'Related Objects' tab.
  2. Under either 'Described by Documents' or 'References Documents' click the 'Add new Document' icon.
  3. Fill in the wizard, select your desired template.
  4. Check-in the part to store the new association.

That's it!

So now you can both have your pie and eat it, too 🙂

10 REPLIES 10

Jorn,

Would you see any value in having a "Create and Associate Part" option when creating a new document in Windchill? Similar to the way you can when a new CAD DOcument is created? Sounds like your use case is to create the Part first? I'm curious how many people are creating the documents first and could avoid all the additional steps of creating and associating a Part afterwards by doing it at the time of creation?

-Scott

Scott,

I can see a value, especially if you can associate multiple parts. In my company we upload many documents which has to be associated to multiple parts in the initial phase of our projects after the parts are created.

/Martin

This would be useful for us.  We have times where we are creating a document based on a vendor drawing and that is what we start with.  I also want to start using Excel or Word to replace other drawings that we have typically done in Pro/E that really shouldn't be in Pro/E.  We would start with the document and would want to create a part when we create the document in Windchill.  We would need to be able to control numbering of the wtPart before check-in though so we would not have to go back and renumber it.

Brian

Scot,

We want to use meaningless document numbering. To refind documents it's important to have an option to create a relationships between (Microsoft) documents and Windchill objects (such as Parts, Projects, Process Plans, etc.) using the desktop integration at document creation. Many document creators like to work with the desktop integration instead of working in Windchill. Does PTC have any plans in this direction?

Arjen

Yes, so it sounds like you are also in favor of being able to create and associate a part to a document at the time it is created? This is available for CAD Documents today, but not for wt.documents. The New Document wizard is the same for the HTML, Office and Windows Explorer interface, so we just need to update the wizard to support Create and Associate Part. I'm not sure anyone has submitted an idea for this yet, but I would be happy to support it.

Scott,

My need is to associate a document to each possible Windchill object able to link documents with using the desktop integration. In our case the objects to link to already exist, so automatically creation of e.g. a part based on a document creation is NOT our need. We will write an enhancement request and post it to PTC.

Our need is:

1 start the "new document" wizard via desktop integration.

2 select the objecttype, context and identification to link the document to.

3 create the new document, directly linked to the object as "described by"

So it is a different need than the need described above.

Arjen,

If done right I think the interface should be able to support both 1-to-1 and many-to-1 part-to-doc links with both existing and auto-creation of new parts with some automatic rules for populating or auto-lookup for name and number and maybe(?) other attributes on the part based on attributes on the document.

Looking forward to the enhancement request on the idea tab in here! I for one will vote and maybe even comment on it

This feature is nice, but unfortunately the attribut synchronization is missing between Document and Part!

I created for this a new enhancement request:

Synchronize Attributes from WTDocument to WTPart

Bjoern,

Unfortunately the link is not working. Can you send me the enhancement request or repair de link?

Thanks!

So now it works. I just copy/pasted the URL as link. Unfortunately the forum adds some other stuff to the URL. You have to insert it directly from "Insert Link"

Synchronize Attributes from WTDocument to WTPart

Top Tags