cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to change display of lifecycle status indicator ("Production" vs "In Work")

ES_9976227
5-Regular Member

How to change display of lifecycle status indicator ("Production" vs "In Work")

Windchill's insistence on showing the latest version of an item, even if that latest version is unreleased, is causing issues with my end users. I want to make it easier for them to tell if the version they're looking at is released or not by changing the way the In Work status displays on the item master.

Ideally, I'd want the Go To Latest indicator to be linked to released revisions only, and to NOT point to an in-work version of an item. But if that's not feasible, the next best thing would be to change the way the In Work displays -- change the font color, for instance, and make it red; change the font size to make it more visible; change the "In Work" display to instead read "Unreleased".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @avillanueva 

the CSS is easier way.

I got customer who wants to move the sate to better place.

btw @avillanueva in my opinion your idea to extend display lc state DataUtility is the best one.

Just check if it is correct state on correct object type.

WCH 12.0.2.0
/**
 * For info page item id line, just for state
 */
.infoPage div.state {
    float: left;
    font-size: 14px;
    font-weight: bold;
    margin-right: 5px;
    margin-top: 2px;
    margin-left: 10px !important;
}

HelesicPetr_0-1657265905571.png

HelesicPetr_1-1657265918728.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I see what you are asking but make sure what you are asking system to do make sense. What might be good for one class of users can break things for others. It might be better to educate the users. So the Go to Latest link is controlled by the GoToLatestDataUtility as shown below.  You should be able to extend, override and replace with your own class to change its behavior.  Let me know if you are unfamiliar with data utilities.  They are documented in the customizer's guide. 

avillanueva_0-1657041868135.png

If you opt for your second option, same process, replace the InfoPageStateDataUtility. I think this is easier to do with less side effects. 

avillanueva_1-1657042135163.png

Remember that this DU likely applies across the system so you need to make sure it does not break when looking at Change objects or other state based objects that follow a different lifecycle.  If its possible to draw a hard line around the users who do not want to see In Work items, have you thought about not granting them read rights to unreleased objects? This might be an alternative approach that you can test out. Let me know if this helps.

ES_9976227
5-Regular Member
(To:avillanueva)

We've implemented training, but training + interface changes/poke-okes is more reliable than training alone.

I'll speak with my team about your suggestion, thank you. Do you know if a similar option is available to change the display (font size, font color) of the lifecycle status callout on an item (Production, In Work, etc)?

Yeah, that is the second data utility I mentioned. It also might be as simple as a CSS change if it can be isolated to the lifecycle attribute. You should be able to tell what CSS controls the font/color by inspecting elements. 

Hi @avillanueva 

the CSS is easier way.

I got customer who wants to move the sate to better place.

btw @avillanueva in my opinion your idea to extend display lc state DataUtility is the best one.

Just check if it is correct state on correct object type.

WCH 12.0.2.0
/**
 * For info page item id line, just for state
 */
.infoPage div.state {
    float: left;
    font-size: 14px;
    font-weight: bold;
    margin-right: 5px;
    margin-top: 2px;
    margin-left: 10px !important;
}