cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to edit Young's modulus in Material file

tjerome
9-Granite

How to edit Young's modulus in Material file

I have a material file stored in our Library that I cannot seem to find or edit. I need to change the Young's modulus value, do you know a way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey lhoogeveen

thanks for this. We had to first save it as a .mtl file, then edit the MAT file with converted units and move it to the appropriate directory in our library. But this solution did work! Thank you for this.

What is the difference between a MAT and MTL file? Just comparing them in notepad it woudl appear .mtl files are written in some kind of script format.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:tjerome)

If you have the material assigned to a part, you can export the *.mtl file to disk and then edit it.

You can find you where your Creo materials are located by looking at the pro_material_dir config option in Creo.  Once you find the material in Creo, try right clicking on the material and then clicking Properties to edit the Modulus.

If you want to incorporate this change into your company's material library: Once you have you changes complete, then Save a Copy to a local folder location or to your Windchill workspace. Then you will need to put the updated material file in the pro_material_dir location.

• Windows folder for your pro_material_dir location, simply replace the existing file in the pro_material_dir location. Create a backup of the old material if desired.
  • Windchill folder for your pro_material_dir location, you may need to check out the existing material to a workspace before doing Save a Copy to your workspace. Updating secondary CAD files stored in Windchill is a pain...

Hey lhoogeveen

thanks for this. We had to first save it as a .mtl file, then edit the MAT file with converted units and move it to the appropriate directory in our library. But this solution did work! Thank you for this.

What is the difference between a MAT and MTL file? Just comparing them in notepad it woudl appear .mtl files are written in some kind of script format.

.MAT is the previous format for materials and .MTL is the new format for materials. Both still work in Creo. I'm not sure if there's specific functionality improvements in .MTL versus .MAT (perhaps for FEA properties). If you created a new material in Creo today, it will default to .MTL.

That makes sense, because we have several MAT files that were created back when we were on Creo 2 and now that we upgraded to 3, I see MTLs now. Thanks again!

BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:lhoogeveen)

I was wondering if there was some new functionality from the .mtl file for managing appearance.  In the UI for saving the material properties in Creo Parametric 4, there is a tab for appearance...in this tab you can make an appearance default.  I don't know if this was in the older versions of Creo as I'm just now starting this journey of managing the material library....

BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:lhoogeveen)

I was wondering if there was some new functionality from the .mtl file for managing appearance.  In the UI for saving the material properties in Creo Parametric 4, there is a tab for appearance...in this tab you can make an appearance default.  I don't know if this was in the older versions of Creo as I'm just now starting this journey of managing the material library...

Top Tags