cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to enable "MOVE" action in "ProjectLink" context ?

vuchekar
9-Granite

How to enable "MOVE" action in "ProjectLink" context ?

Hi All,

OOTB "Move" action is disabled in Project context. this action is hidden by "wt.dataops.conatinermove.processors.MoveValidator" . is any way to make it visible in projectlink context.

Regards,

Vivek

6 REPLIES 6

Hi,

If the move action is disabled, it's for a good reason.

Check https://www.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc110_hc/index.jspx?id=CommonMoveRestrictionsRef&action=show

in detail :

• Objects can only be moved to and from product and library contexts. Move is not available for projects or programs.

You cannot change this with custom code...

regards

Hi,

I dont know the coherence behind keeping this action hidden in Project however competely agree with Oliver and believe there must be some good reason (atleast after my below findings).

I am able to make move action enable in Project with my custom validator which extends OOTB "wt.dataops.conatinermove.processors.MoveValidator" validator, but it is of no use. 

Note: This is again Unsupported class. So I would not encourage/recommends to do so...

On Move wizard, it has made so robust that Windchill again validates whether objects are from Projects and if so, it displays appropriate error as below:

Project Move.png

So, I dont think it is that straight forward that I thought earlier. 

Regards,

Shirish

Hi Shirish,

Did you use preValidate method in your custom validator for Move?

Do you think we can use a Custom Validator to put some custom validation rules? 

I have tried to use validateFormSubmission method in my Custom Validator and it doesnt get called?

Let me know if you have any insights.

Abhishek

Move has never been available in PJL, just like Revise. There are ways to expose both of them, but PTC strongly suggests to not use them since they are completely unsupported. If you really want to have a Move action in PJL, please vote up the following idea.

RoyCrerar
14-Alexandrite
(To:vuchekar)

Hi, I can't seem to get the links to work from other solutions to check if they are supplying a solution.

I had similar issues a while back. Project link is not intended to be used in that way that is why the functionality is disabled. PJL is a collaboration tool and isolates data from the products and libraries so it can be shared internally and externally without the source data being vulnerable to change or worse.

Create your data in products and libraries and share to PJL. Suppliers and other teams can edit and make changes but these don't flush back to the source until the project manager has authorised. The changes can also be rejected by PM.

Same condition for promotions and revisions do in product and libraries and share to project once items are promoted.

hope this helps

@RoyCrerar wrote:

Hi, I can't seem to get the links to work from other solutions to check if they are supplying a solution.

I had similar issues a while back. Project link is not intended to be used in that way that is why the functionality is disabled. PJL is a collaboration tool and isolates data from the products and libraries so it can be shared internally and kodi externally without the source data being vulnerable to change or worse.

Create your data in products and libraries and share to PJL. Suppliers and other teams can edit and make changes but these don't flush back to the source until the project manager has authorised. The changes can also be rejected by PM.

Same condition for promotions and revisions do in product and libraries and share to project once items are promoted.

hope this helps

Great post. It was much needed. Love your simplistic style of explanation. 🙂

Top Tags