cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to fasten the performance of the CAD Workers?

ptc-4138940
1-Newbie

How to fasten the performance of the CAD Workers?

Hi All,

Glad to be part of this community!

I am working on a cluster environment with one master and two slaves server.We have one CAD Worker machine in which we have configured 3 CAD Workers at this point of time.All are in running state and showing the status as "busy" in the Worker agent administrator.

Now my concern is that the time taken by each CAD Worker to publish and generate the thumbnail is too much which is resulting in accumulation of many pending obs in the Publish Monitor.All showing the status as "ready".There is a delay of 15 days from submitted to the latest published.

Also FYI,we have four Publisher Queues configured in the Queue Manager.

Kindly if any one can come up with the solution that "how exactly i can speed up the process of publishing" then i will be more than grateful.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards

Samresh Kumar

9 REPLIES 9

Hi Samresh,

as far as I know the number of Publish Queues must fit to the numbers of CAD Workers. So if you have 4 queues you also need to have 4 CADWorker. Otherwise the 4th queue would not be able to send its jobs to a worker. Disable one of your queues and monitor the systems behavior.

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin

Thanks for your immediate response to my query.

I got this information that by having one extra PublisherQueue configured,it will always keep the three CAD Workers in a busy state.The chances of going them idle is very less.

Do you really think that by disabling one queue will speed up the publishing process?

If that so i can do that right away and monitor the performance.

Thanks & Regards

Samresh Kumar

Hi Samresh Kumar,

we are running 3 queues with 3 CADWorker and 3 OfficeWorker in parallel and we never had such a bad backlog. So if there is a hugh amount of publish jobs we have a delay of a few hours but over night all jobs are done.

Regards

Martin

BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:ptc-4138940)

Samresh, we had a similar issue with backlogs and our focus was on the recipe file and positioning assembly settings. If the files in the backup queue represent assemblies, you may want to consider positioning assembly publishing. In regards to the positioning assembly and recipe file settings, I highly recommend getting with tech support to understand the settings. We also added RAM to the processors to help out with timeout issues when jobs failed.

Thanks Bill for your response!

Can you please elaborate about the positioning assembly settings.How eactly positioning assembly publishing can be performed?

The files in the backlog are of different types like assemblies,part and drawings.

I also checked the worker recipe file and there were some different tabs like basic,parameters,advanced,preparations and LOD Setup.So does that mean by doing some changes in the .rcp file may effect the publishing?

Regarsd

Samresh

The recipe file will certainly affect publishing, as will the Config.pro file and wvs.properties. Here's a link to the RecipeEditorQuickReference.pdf file that goes somewhat in depth into the various settings: http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/78600/en/RecipeEditorQuickReference.pdf .

Brian Geary

http://windchill101.com

Here's another document that may be helpful -- it's a Recipe Editor FAQ published by PTC: http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/122319/en/PV_FAQsRecipeEditor.pdf

Brian Geary

http://windchill101.com

Thanks a lot Brian for sharing this valueable information.

I will go through the pdf and see if this works out for me.I will update this discussion soon with my findings.

Thanks & Regards

Samresh K

You can also try configuring the Thumbnail worker for dedicated generation of thumbnails.Not sure if you tried that.

Top Tags