cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to import non-native cad models into Windchill/Creo? Correctly.

ggolichowski
1-Newbie

How to import non-native cad models into Windchill/Creo? Correctly.

Using Creo 3.0, + Windchill, how does one correctly bring in a non-native cad model so that it can be saved/modified as a Creo part?  Is it to be put into Windchill and if yes, How?  I've been having a tough time using Creo 3.0 without training.  I'm clueless as to how to work with Windchill.  I previously used other 3D Cad software.

2 REPLIES 2

Hello Gary,

I'm only using CREO 2 - but I fear a model from other CAD system or stored as a IGES- or STEP - format, you can not handle in the same way. Such a format you can open directly out of CREO, you can add design elements, or cut it out, but the original disign elements of the other system will not appear.

I know that version 3 should have more and better possibilities sharing data between different system, but as far as I heard it's not realy the same - maybe the experts from PTC support have detailed informations - do you've a maintenance contract in order to ask them ?

If you've several files bringing into the system you can do it also by an import in to WINDCHILL - in this case I've learned the CONFIG - definition for "allow_import_file_extension prt,asm,drw,..." is required.

REGARDS

Robert

Connect to a workspace, create a new part and import the file with Model -> Get Data -> Import. In case you have not got the correct setup of Creo Parametric and attempt to open the part directly it might now load up with the predefined items from your start part. Once the import is done then save the model, upload from the workspace and check into Windchill.

Top Tags