cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

How to license SQLServer database for Windchill Risk and Reliability 12.0

MaiteFarreny
6-Contributor

How to license SQLServer database for Windchill Risk and Reliability 12.0

Hello community,

We're in discussion with a customer about SQLServer licensing for Windchill Risk and Reliability.

There are 6 users.

Customer argument is: if the application only uses a user for db connection, I only have to pay for 1 SQLServer license

Our argument is that customer should adquiere as many db licenses as named users using the application (6).

There is no official answer from PTC to helps us with this kind of discussion, because they consider that we should discuss it with Microsoft/Oracle

Can someone help me? any bad experience wtih compliances with Oracle or Microsoft?

Thank you very much in advance.

Maite Farreny

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Is your role in this is as the reseller or external consultant? In any case: Licensing of SQL Server or for that matter Oracle is not really your concern. It is a question of compliance towards Microsoft, and that responsibility lies on the customer. Your role should in my opinion be to inform the customer about their responsibility to be compliant and that while a DB is required licenses are not bundles with the PTC applications.

I am not an SQL Server licensing expert, but I've been in this exact same discussion with customers before. I attached the guides I found on the topic. You may point them to the section about multiplexing in the guide (starting at page 36) "When licensing SQL Server software under the Server+CAL licensing model, users and devices that indirectly access SQL Server data through another application or hardware device still require SQL Server CALs." If they still are in doubt they need to take this up with ther database reseller. Be sure that you document your recommendations to them in case your customer is faced with a license review from Microsoft.

Does this help?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Is your role in this is as the reseller or external consultant? In any case: Licensing of SQL Server or for that matter Oracle is not really your concern. It is a question of compliance towards Microsoft, and that responsibility lies on the customer. Your role should in my opinion be to inform the customer about their responsibility to be compliant and that while a DB is required licenses are not bundles with the PTC applications.

I am not an SQL Server licensing expert, but I've been in this exact same discussion with customers before. I attached the guides I found on the topic. You may point them to the section about multiplexing in the guide (starting at page 36) "When licensing SQL Server software under the Server+CAL licensing model, users and devices that indirectly access SQL Server data through another application or hardware device still require SQL Server CALs." If they still are in doubt they need to take this up with ther database reseller. Be sure that you document your recommendations to them in case your customer is faced with a license review from Microsoft.

Does this help?

Hello

Thank you very much for your comments and guides, and share your experience.

My company is a PTC reseller in Spain.

As you explain, I'll point then to multiplexing. I think taht microsoft explanation is quite clear.

Best regards,

Maite

Hello @MaiteFarreny 

This question should be answered from Microsoft not PTC.

PetrH

Announcements

Top Tags