cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

How to make drag and drop into DTI select a document subtype?

Dobi
14-Alexandrite

How to make drag and drop into DTI select a document subtype?

For those that are using DTI, is there a way to predefine a document subtype of an incoming file that is dragged and dropped in? 

Creating a new document through a right click launches the Windchill menu and that works, but drag and drop seems to default to the parent wt.doc.WTDocument type. 

5 REPLIES 5
ScottMorris
17-Peridot
(To:Dobi)

Use this preference to set the default document type. You can set it at the site, org or container level.

Create and Edit > Document Create Default Type

The downside is you can only have one document type/container. It would be much nicer if there was a document type picker or some other method of setting the document type for multiple documents during drag-n-drop.

Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:ScottMorris)

The preference is set to indicate that a user must select a document type. While this happens on a drag and drop into a browser, it doesn't happen for a drag and drop into DTI. 

Dobi_0-1666397853884.png

For the multiple documents I'd be great that on a drag and drop into a browser the document type is a pull down PER DOCUMENT in the table. 

For this instance with DTI, though, it seems as though the role is completely bypassed. 

ScottMorris
17-Peridot

When you refer to "drag-n-drop into DTI" does that mean drag-n-drop into Windows File Explorer? I assumed you were referring to the browser. Windchill Desktop Integration (DTI) is a tool. It is what performs the actions of drag-n-drop in Windchill. It only supports drag-n-drop from the Windows Desktop or Windows File Explorer to Windchill running in a browser or a Windows File Explorer windows open to the Windchill location.

Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:ScottMorris)

Fair point and thank you for making that distinction. What I'm referring to is a drag-n-drop operation into Windows File Explorer when I'm in a Windchill file location where I want to add the document I'm dragging in. 

Drag and drop of a document into a browser pops up with the expected "pick your document subtype" screen. However, a drag and drop into Windows Explorer bypasses that and the document just comes in as the parent WTDocument type. 

HelesicPetr
21-Topaz II

Hi @Dobi 

Please vote for an idea to cover the type document selection for drag and drop  

IdeaLink

Thank you 

PetrH

Top Tags