cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to re-load the last uploaded version of a CAD object and save to local workspace

pausob
18-Opal

How to re-load the last uploaded version of a CAD object and save to local workspace

I know this has been covered before, but seems it's been a while and I'm confused again.

I have uploaded a Creo part that has not been checked-out; lucky, for then few days later I unintentionally saved over my local workspace copy with a version from another local backup.  So now I want to get back the version that I uploaded to the server-side workspace.

I managed to do this by launching new Creo session (after renaming my local cache folder and basically forcing the rebuild of the cache in the new folder), and then doing a save-as-backup.  Luckily I did this before I attempted the "Add function" and "download" which ended up bringing in the previous version of the object from the commonspace (not the server-side workspace)...

So, was there an easier way of getting the latest uploaded server-side workspace version of the object back into the local workspace?  And am I abusing the upload to server function as a means of a undo?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @HelesicPetr

Yes, that check-box in the "basic view" seems to be the same as the reuse/download options in the table view (advanced tab)

Indeed, if the object is checked-out and a modified copy has been uploaded, then the add function will put back in the workspace the uploaded version.

However, if the model has been modified but not checked out then the latest checked-in version will be downloaded and the model uploaded to the server side will be lost.

In summary, I think the methods of overwriting the workspace content with the checked-in common-space content are covered in this thread file over modified workspace files

So then for the case of trying to recover the uploaded version of the model, the solution seems to be to first check-out the model, then use the add function.

Anyway, still confusing as heck and I'm totally unsure if what I'm saying is invalidated by some windchill preference but for now, I'll mark this as "solved" and thanks @Chris3 and @TomU for your help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:pausob)

Are you familiar with workspace frames?  These allow you to jump forward and backward in time to previous workspace events.  If you have the frame size set high enough, you can easily jump back to what something looked liked several days before.

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.1.0/en/#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FCADxSrvrWspOviewFramesAbout.html%23

pausob
18-Opal
(To:TomU)

I have heard of frames, but I never used them since decade ago when I started on PDMlink 9.1 and I think at the time they seemed rather flaky;  I am also wary of going "back in time" as that will also affect other items in the workspace that I don't want to change?

Do you recommend using them?  I suppose I'll try and see how they work when I have time to experiment.

One thing I noticed is that the "update" function in Creo (via right-click on the model in the tree) - it will restore the model to the uploaded (server-side version), but as soon as it is saved to my local workspace, the update function no longer does anything.  And then using the Add function - well that brings in the last checked-in content from the common-space.

This graphic I found is quite out of date, then:

pausob_0-1650485123821.png

There is a setting that controls the behavior of the update command. By default, I believe it reuses the content from the workspace. You can instead set it to always download and replace content. I know this doesn't necessarily answer your question but it might be worth looking into. It is more intuitive for our users at least. We set the undo checkout behavior up the same way. 

@Tdaugherty I will explore the update options to see if there I can find a method to bring-back-to-my-workspace the latest uploaded version of a model (and not the latest checked-in version)

Chris3
21-Topaz I
(To:pausob)

When you add an object to your workspace there is a checkbox for "reuse content". Uncheck that box to get the version from Windchill.

Capture.JPG

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I
(To:Chris3)

Hi @Chris3 

This is good idea. This option downloads the uploaded modified content to a local workspace.

Good point. 

This option never downloads a commonspace version but the uploaded version to the local workspace.

Our customers fight with this if they need to replace the uploaded changes with commonspace versions :D.

This is nice use case where I understand why the unchecked Reuse modified workspace content works as designed 😄 

PetrH 

Hi @HelesicPetr

Yes, that check-box in the "basic view" seems to be the same as the reuse/download options in the table view (advanced tab)

Indeed, if the object is checked-out and a modified copy has been uploaded, then the add function will put back in the workspace the uploaded version.

However, if the model has been modified but not checked out then the latest checked-in version will be downloaded and the model uploaded to the server side will be lost.

In summary, I think the methods of overwriting the workspace content with the checked-in common-space content are covered in this thread file over modified workspace files

So then for the case of trying to recover the uploaded version of the model, the solution seems to be to first check-out the model, then use the add function.

Anyway, still confusing as heck and I'm totally unsure if what I'm saying is invalidated by some windchill preference but for now, I'll mark this as "solved" and thanks @Chris3 and @TomU for your help.

Top Tags