cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to set up a Windchill PDMLink test system

bschmidt-2
1-Newbie

How to set up a Windchill PDMLink test system

Hi everybody,

I need to set up a Windchill PDMLink test system. So I´m trying to install windchill on a local machine (don´t want to touch the prod server ).

As manual serves this http://ark-plm.com/monolithic-installation-windchill-pdmlink-10-2-windows-server-2012/

When using the PTC sollution installer, I´m getting a problem: "Connection with HTTP-port not possible" (not sure about the correct translation - message is in german). I am using standard port (see picture below) and firewall is off.

Any suggestions why I can´t reach the machine? Why is the installation process doing this test?

Unbenannt.JPG

Best regards,

Benjamin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello Benjamin,

I think Tom's and Bob's answers are correct, you probably have some other program that is currently using port 80.

A quick procedure to verify that is to open up the command prompt, and type in "netstat -a -n -o"

source: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/the-enterprise-cloud/see-what-process-is-using-a-tcp-port-in-windows-server-2008/

if you do have a program using port 80, take note of the PID of it, then open the task manager to find the process with that PID.

The process tab doesn't show PID by default, but you can add it through the View Menu:

2015-11-06 14_40_57-Windows Task Manager.png

2015-11-06 14_41_15-Select Process Page Columns.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:bschmidt-2)

I would guess that port 80 is already in use.  Windchill needs to install it's own web server (Apache), so you need to turn off whatever is already using port 80.  Start by taking a look at IIS.  (Make sure it's not checked.)

bsindelar
6-Contributor

Ben,

A test WC system will also need a test Apache (HTTPServer) and test WindchillDS as well.  In this step you are setting up the Apache configurations.

Is "pc-cad09.smb.lan" the machine you are looking to install Windchill on as well as the machine you are actually running the PSI on?  If it is a connection error to Port 80, it is likely that something on that machine is already using Port 80.  You may want to do a netstat on that machine to verify.

My company, Eccellent Solutions (www.eccellent.com) has decades of experience in Windchill and I'd be glad to help you out further with this or any future work you may have with Windchill.  Feel free to send me an e-mail at robert.sindelar@eccellent.com if you are interested.

Hello Benjamin,

I think Tom's and Bob's answers are correct, you probably have some other program that is currently using port 80.

A quick procedure to verify that is to open up the command prompt, and type in "netstat -a -n -o"

source: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/the-enterprise-cloud/see-what-process-is-using-a-tcp-port-in-windows-server-2008/

if you do have a program using port 80, take note of the PID of it, then open the task manager to find the process with that PID.

The process tab doesn't show PID by default, but you can add it through the View Menu:

2015-11-06 14_40_57-Windows Task Manager.png

2015-11-06 14_41_15-Select Process Page Columns.png

Hi guys,

thank you for your advice!

The programm blocking port 80 is our anti-virus software (Trend Micro).

NowI did choose another port - hopefully this will work too.

Best regards

Benjamin

bsindelar
6-Contributor

Keep in mind that if you choose a port other than 80 to install Windchill, then users will have to add that to the end of the domain name portion of the URL.  For instance, if you install on port 81 using the hostname in your screenshot and assuming the servlet name is "Windchill", the URL to access Windchill would be:

http://pc-cad09.smb.lan:81/Windchill

You will also need to make sure all clients in your environment have communications open/available on whatever port you choose to do the server-side install.

Hi Bob,

thanks for the advice. Luckily the install process creates a link to the windchill-home with the port

Because it is a test system I will hopefully have no needs to give all the clients access.

In the meantime I successfully installed a monolith (Oracle&Winchill) as testsystem. Now I have to "copy" data from the productive system to my test instance. I think WTbackup and the vaults would are enough.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Benjamin

bsindelar
6-Contributor

You will need to follow the rehost guide in order to duplicate the data from your production system to the test system.  The rehost essentially is a copy-over of 4 elements:

• Database
  • Codebase (that is any configurations/customizations made outside of the OOTB install on production that need to be incorporated to test)
  • LDAP (to get the users)
  • Vaults

The rehost process is well documented on PTC.com - search for the rehost guide documentation.

breed
4-Participant

You may want to think about using VMware, Virtualbox, or other virtualization software to create a test environment. Then you can disconnect it from the production network while preforming rehost operations. This ensures you don't mistakenly change production settings while rehosting. Another advantage to using a virtualized enviornment is you can just copy your production enviornment create a fake domain with the same domain name host name and you don't need to rehost (just keep it off the production network).

Top Tags