cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to start publishing of a queue?

Dobrisa
13-Aquamarine

How to start publishing of a queue?

We've had our production publisher down for a little bit and it's come back up and is now connected, online and ready. While the production publisher was down the PublisherQueue1 got to about 4600 items waiting and ready to be published. 

My thought was that once the publisher came online, it would just start publishing... that hasn't happened. How do I get the queue to start publishing? Right now it just continues to get longer and longer and the publisher, meanwhile, is sitting idle. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dobrisa
13-Aquamarine
(To:MikeLockwood)

The plot thickens some more:

I opened a case with PTC on this and for some reason we aren't able to stop one of the publishing queues. In the MethodServer Logs it kept popping up with database errors and the theory (at least right now) is that we can't restart publishing because of this error. 

Working on it now (pending server restart) and we'll see if things improve. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:Dobrisa)

In sequence:

- Queues: Make sure all queues that have "publishing" are running; may need to delete any failed queue entries

- Worker Agent: Reload

- On CAD Worker, make sure CAD (e.g. xtop.exe for Creo) executable has been stopped)

- On CAD Worker, Restart the deamon

- Worker Agent: Start

Dobrisa
13-Aquamarine

I've gone through that sequence just now.... no luck. 

As of now, there are no failed entries in the queue.

Worker reloaded.

XTOP wasn't on on the worker.

Daemon restarted.

Worker start.

It's sitting idle and none of the ready jobs in the WVS monitor are executing. They are just sitting there. 

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

On the worker agent,

- Are both flags red? They need to be.

- Once they are both red, uncheck the On-Line checkbox and click the blue icon on the left to test the worker with a built-in file. It has to say success.

Dobrisa
13-Aquamarine

Both flags are red yes and when I do the test (blue icon) everything passes successfully.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Ok, getting more interesting.

1. From the worker agent, reload (both flags green).

2. On the CAD Worker, stop the deamon.

3. On the CAD WorkerIn task manager, the WorkerDaemon and WorkerHelper and WorkerMonitor processes should all be not there.

4. On the CAD Worker in the creo_setup folder, execute purge - all log files should go away.  Manually delete .trail and std.out files.

5. From the worker agent, Start all (both flags red).

6. On the CAD Worker task manager should see: WorkerDaemon, WorkerMonitor, WorkerHelper.

7. On the CAD Worker CreoView Creo_Setup folder, should see new log files).

Q: Is the CAD Worker on the Windchill server or different host?  If different host, are you using FTP or //shared_folder?

Dobrisa
13-Aquamarine

The plot thickens some more:

I opened a case with PTC on this and for some reason we aren't able to stop one of the publishing queues. In the MethodServer Logs it kept popping up with database errors and the theory (at least right now) is that we can't restart publishing because of this error. 

Working on it now (pending server restart) and we'll see if things improve. 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

How often do you normally restart your publishing machine and your servers?

Since I do not run 24/7, I reboot all 3 every morning at 5AM before the users start coming in at 6.

Just for reference - We have two CAD workers (Win 10 on AWS servers), each publishing both Creo Parametric and Solidworks in parallel.  We generally only reboot them monthly after Windows patches.

Dobrisa
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenLoosli)

The publisher has been down for a while and we just brought it back up two weeks ago. I imagine I would do a restart weekly once it's up and running well. We do run a global 24/7 operation so it's never a good time to restart. 

Dobrisa
13-Aquamarine

After server reboot, the worker started publishing without issues. 

It seems that the issue was more due to the fact that we weren't able to stop one of the queues... and that's being looked at now. 

Top Tags