cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

I need to find the model referenced by the dwg......

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I need to find the model referenced by the dwg......

....in Intralink it was a snap, yet in W/C it seems a total pain if not impossible. There was a graph feature in Intralink that was awesome, gone in W/C.

so, any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OK I have the solution. When you do the Related Objects > CAD/Dynamic Docments...

Click on the column heading "Reference Type" and sort by that.

The references you are looking for are

"Drawing Reference"

"Drawing Format Reference"

They should be at the top or bottom of the list if you sort once (or twice) by that column.

Hope this helps.

Jim

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

I looked for over an hour, and, after poking myself in the eyes with a sharp stick, found NADA, though now I need to resharpen my stick.

So, what I'm going to try and do, is convince management to let me change the corporate format to add the dwg name and version, and model name and version to it. This way when we do a search in W/C, we can see what the dwg's model is easily. See JPEG with comment.

Hi Frank Sir

I have not worked in intralink; so I dont know the opions

But in windchill you can check the referenced model through Related Object tab

DWG_MODEL-01.JPG

Can you clarify the exact problem you are facing which forced you to change the format

Regards

K.Mahanta

That works "ok" (should still be a LOT easier).....only if the dwg references a single part. If you have a large assembly, EVERYTHING comes up, and you have to try and dig thru it. I looked in the book i had, nothing, and then wasted over an hour searching thru W/C trying to find some button buried somewhere that would tell me this info quickly. NADA.

Adding that info to the title block is the only way I can think of to easily get that information.

Frank,

If your system is set up to auto associate cad documents (to wtparts/gearhubs) you can get to these a little bit easier.

1) Go to the Info page for the drawing > Related Objects (from pull down) > Parts.

The gearhubs/wtparts for any drawing models will be "Contributing Content" Links to the drawing.

Again, this will only work if you guys auto associate.

Let me know if you haev any questions

Jim

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:JamesBaile)

We don't use WT Parts, we have real ones. So, this doesn't help, but thanks. Like I said, for dwgs that only reference a single part, it's doable but still too much hassle. For a large assembly, forget it. Intralink was so much better in this regard as well. The graph feature was AWESOME!

While not required, the wtparts can add a lot of information and intelligence to what you have. If your company ever wants to drive ERP BOM's from windchill, they will use those. Even if you have real parts/modles, the wtparts are still integral. Think of them as the collector of information for a BOM item. You can attach documents, view relationsips, set up items to be design/manufacure,seperable, inseperable, part etc.

If I can find another way to do it, I will let you know.

Jim

OK I have the solution. When you do the Related Objects > CAD/Dynamic Docments...

Click on the column heading "Reference Type" and sort by that.

The references you are looking for are

"Drawing Reference"

"Drawing Format Reference"

They should be at the top or bottom of the list if you sort once (or twice) by that column.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:JamesBaile)

Hey James, thanks! Yep, it seems to work. Tedius, and buried under far too many screens, but there's no easy way in W/C. I'm still going to make that modification to the dwg format for that, and other reasons (linking model version to dwg version), but I've definately changed it in my views, and encourage the users to do the same.

Thanks again!

P.S. Did you ever use the graph in Intralink?

Top Tags