cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

I want to understand how Materials object information are managed in Windchill.

NP_10570407
10-Marble

I want to understand how Materials object information are managed in Windchill.

Version: Windchill 12.1

Use Case: We are migrating from 3DExperience to Windchill. Materials library also part of migration. we need help with object type mapping for Materials. Which object type in windchill is used to represent a material and how they are linked to cadbom and ebom. thanks in advance.

Description:

We are migrating from 3DExperience to Windchill. Materials library also part of migration. we need help with object type mapping for Materials. Which object type in windchill is used to represent a material and how they are linked to cadbom and ebom. thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:NP_10570407)

These would just be normal EPMDocument objects. If there is an association, it would be to a PRT model EPMDocument. There would be no direct link to any eBOM (Part) object. The only way to show that at the eBOM would be to create an alias attribute to navigate to the linked CAD model (EPMDocument) then to the material EPMDocument. Might be easier to create a report but you will have gaps.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

When you say materials, are you referring to raw materials as parts or material composition like for REACH analysis, rollup and reporting? On the CAD side (not sure if you are changing CAD as well), there are material files in Creo which could be managed in Windchill or could remain outside.

Here is a link to a thread on the retirement of Windchill Product Analytics (WPA):

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill/WIndchill-Product-Analytics-WPA-Where-to-go-in-the-future-now/td-p/576673

Based on the thread, they have partnered with an outside solution to provide this functionality.

Thanks for the reply @avillanueva 

Please see the below image. There are collection of materials in the Creo library.

I want to understand on

1.)how these materials are managed in windchill side. (as an EPMDocument of type=MTL?) 

2)how can i further link these materials on EBOM WTParts?

3.) What is the best strategy to consider while doing data migration of Materials to Windchill?

Thanks in advance

NP_10570407_0-1720701515999.jpeg

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

This article should have links on how to set this up:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS310235?source=search

@avillanueva Do you have more information on how the data is stored in Windchill side in terms of object type. I want to visualize in terms of data model. How the data would look like after the material migration from 3DExperience to Windchill.?

Thank you @Marco_Tosin for the article link. it gave few insights in terms of integration.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

These would just be normal EPMDocument objects. If there is an association, it would be to a PRT model EPMDocument. There would be no direct link to any eBOM (Part) object. The only way to show that at the eBOM would be to create an alias attribute to navigate to the linked CAD model (EPMDocument) then to the material EPMDocument. Might be easier to create a report but you will have gaps.

You can set the material attribute in Creo as a designated attribute, so on check-in the material name will be visible on the CAD object. You can have this propagate to the WTPart as well so that it's viewable in BOMs. There's no direct link in that case to the material library object stored in Windchill. 

Workflow from engineer's perspective (after everything is configured):

• Engineer assigns material from library stored in Windchill to the CAD model and checks in
  • CAD object in Windchill shows the material name
  • WTPart is automatically updated and also shows the material name
  • Material is visible in WTPart (BOM) structure

I want to thank both @avillanueva and @joe_morton for giving the responses I am looking for.

So, a Material can be linked as to an PRT EPMDOCUMENT and WTPART in the form of an attribute.

Top Tags