cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Ilink 3.4 M061 Corruption Issues

rmast
13-Aquamarine

Ilink 3.4 M061 Corruption Issues

FYI,

The corruption issues are not fixed with this latest build. We have been using M060 with patches (that are now included in M061) for several weeks and continue to have corruption issues. PTC has provided us with additional patches last week to correct our problem. However, after installing these patches Friday we have already had a corruption. This is derailing our effort to roll out WF4, very disappointing.

WF2 M280, 3.4 M061+patches

28 REPLIES 28
mkorch
12-Amethyst
(To:rmast)

We have wondered if the corruption issues might go away by moving to
Wildfire 4. Can anyone from PTC comment on this theory?

Thanks!
Margi Korch

"Roger Mast"
<roger.mast@cnh.c <br="/> om> To
-
03/02/2009 06:46 cc
AM
Subject
[proi] - Ilink 3.4 M061 Corruption
Please respond to Issues
"Roger Mast"
<roger.mast@cnh.c <br="/> om>

FYI,

The corruption issues are not fixed with this latest build. We have been
using M060 with patches (that are now included in M061) for several weeks
and continue to have corruption issues. PTC has provided us with
additional patches last week to correct our problem. However, after
installing these patches Friday we have already had a corruption. This is
derailing our effort to roll out WF4, very disappointing.

WF2 M280, 3.4 M061+patches

amansfield
6-Contributor

FYI:

Our experience so far after rolling out Ilink 3.4 M060 back last Thanksgiving is that we have only had one or two instances of workspace corruption, other than myself. I've blown mine up 3 times since the start of the year: one time, just a single workspace was corrupt (and I was able to delete and start over), the others, all the workspaces were corrupt where I hade to renbame the .proi folder & create a new one.. (The corrupt workspaces were inaccessible & cause Intralink to crash.). It's kind of fortunate that the admin (me) is seeing the worst of it and not the users.. Fewer hassles 🙂

I have installed M061 and had one "corruption event", but I was using a .proi created by M060, which is advised against in the documentation. Since I've used anM061 created .proi, I've been OK (touch wood..). Hopefully I'll continue to run OK..

All our other users are still on M060 as I'm still testing M061, and with 40+ users we've not had much trouble..

We are now using WF4 M050 & M060 with Intralink 3.4 across the board..

Andrew Mansfield

KI, Green Bay, WI

bnoll
3-Visitor

M061 did not fix our issues, even with new .proi's. With M060 we had
workspace corruption around the world almost daily. While it has slowed
down, we have still seen issues locally since upgrading our client software.

When a workspace corruption occurs, the only option we have is to rename
the current .proi and let the software create a new one. Luckily we
backup the .proi each morning so we can at least go back to the previous
days work and retrieve what might have otherwise been lost from the
corruption.

Regards,

Brian S. Noll
Sr. Engineer/Technologist, Design Services, IT
Johnson Controls, Inc. <http:%5c%5cwww.johnsoncontrols.com%5c>

So related to Margi's question, have all these corruptions occurred with
WF4 and not WF3? I thought an impromptu survey at the beginning of this
showed problems with WF3 and 3.4 M060, not WF4. I'm sure I am not
remembering correctly though.
BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite

Daniel,

I was the one who did the quick survey. Out of the respondents at that time, all of them experienced errors with WF3.

Sincerely,
Brian Toussaint
CAD Administrator

These views are mine and not necissarily those of my employer.
Hoshizaki America, Inc.
618 Hwy. 74 S., Peachtree City, GA 30269

FWIW - We have not seen any of the Workspace corruption (Intralink 3.4
M060) people keep talking about. We are attributing that to our early
adoption of WF 4.

We hear of very few cases of this occurring with PTC customers that are
running WF 4. With that in mind, I would roll to WF 4 as soon as
possible as that MAY BE faster for you that waiting for PTC to solve
this.

- Ed

rmast
13-Aquamarine

Unfortunately, there are companies that are using WF4 and still having
workspace corruptions.

Roger Mast

Haytools, Round Balers

Project Designer, CAD Coordinator

New Holland, PA

(717) 355-3561

-

THE ATTACHED FILE, INCLUDING THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN, IS A
CONFIDENTIAL AND PROPRIETARY PROPERTY OF CNH GLOBAL N.V. AND/OR ITS
SUBSIDIARIES. ANY USE, EXCEPT THAT FOR WHICH IT MAY BE LOANED, IS
PROHIBITED.

How many companies are on M060 or M061 on WF4??? Next question is how many
of these companies are experiencing corruptions, and what is the size of
their users bases?

We are running WF3, we have about 800 users and have abiout a 3%
corruption rate.

"MAST Roger" <->
03/02/2009 11:58 AM
Please respond to
"MAST Roger" <->

To
"Stevenson, Ed" <->, -
cc
"Houser, Josh" <->
Subject
[proi] - RE: Ilink 3.4 M061 Corruption Issues

Unfortunately, there are companies that are using WF4 and still having
workspace corruptions.

Roger Mast
Haytools, Round Balers
Project Designer, CAD Coordinator
New Holland, PA
(717) 355-3561
-

THE ATTACHED FILE, INCLUDING THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN, IS A
CONFIDENTIAL AND PROPRIETARY PROPERTY OF CNH GLOBAL N.V. AND/OR ITS
SUBSIDIARIES. ANY USE, EXCEPT THAT FOR WHICH IT MAY BE LOANED, IS
PROHIBITED.
amansfield
6-Contributor

I've had all mine with WF3 but nearly all our other users are now on WF4 with little trouble.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

Our Intralink 3.4 m060 lifeline...

1. Updated from 3.4 M050 to M060. Started having corrupted Local.ddb files (using WF3 M180)

2. Updated from WF3 M180 to WF4 M061 and continued to experience corrupted Local.ddb files.

3. Rec'd interim Ilink 3.4 M060+ patch from PTC to help with corruption issue. Continued to have corrupted Local.ddb files.

4. Updated from Ilink 3.4 M060 to M061 and are continuing to experience corrupted Local.ddb files.

5. Rec'd another patch (Ilink 3.4 M061+) from PTC on Friday 02/27/2009. So far I have only installed this on 2 of my clients today. I won't know for a couple of days if this patch actually fixes anything or not.

So from my experiences you can say that:

a. the Local.ddb corruption happens on either WF3 or WF4

b. the Local.ddb corruption is not fixed in Ilink 3.4 M061

c. If you have made the upgrade to 3.4 M060/M061 then you just as well update to WF4 because that was your only reason to upgrade to 3.4 M060. Right???

d. Backup the users Local.ddb file every 15 minutes or 1/2 hour during working hrs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
PO Box 245
108 W 2nd
Assaria, KS USA 67416
email: -
Phone: 785-667-7763 x3440
Fax: 785-667-2695

We are on WF4 M060 with Ilink 34 M060and have had workspace corruptions. I have a couple of people upgraded to the Ilink34 M061 client and they too have had corruptions. one just a few minutes ago. I had them start out with fresh .proi's.

I was wondering how PTC could you produce a fix for a problem they didn't fully understand, and now I have my answer.

Is this a good reason tomigrate to Windchill Intralink? I hope not.

Joe

I keep putting off upgrading from Intralink 3.4 M050 to M060/61 even though it is holding back rolling out WF4, we are currently on WF2 M280 because I am concerned about introducing this workspace corruption to our users by upgrading Intralink. If you were facing the option of waiting for this issue to be resolved or taking the plunge would you implement? We have a fair amount of demand here for WF4. I've got about 22 users and it's very hard to say if the risk that we might be among the more affected is enough to continue to hold back on upgrading.

Ian Bagnald
System Support Analyst Sr.

What type of hardware and what OS is being used

In Reply to Randy Jones:

1. Updated from 3.4 M050 to M060. Started having corrupted Local.ddb files (using WF3 M180)

2. Updated from WF3 M180 to WF4 M061 and continued to experience corrupted Local.ddb files.

3. Rec'd interim Ilink 3.4 M060+ patch from PTC to help with corruption issue. Continued to have corrupted Local.ddb files.

4. Updated from Ilink 3.4 M060 to M061 and are continuing to experience corrupted Local.ddb files.

5. Rec'd another patch (Ilink 3.4 M061+) from PTC on Friday 02/27/2009. So far I have only installed this on 2 of my clients today. I won't know for a couple of days if this patch actually fixes anything or not.

c. If you have made the upgrade to 3.4 M060/M061 then you just as well update to WF4 because that was your only reason to upgrade to 3.4 M060. Right???

d. Backup the users Local.ddb file every 15 minutes or 1/2 hour during working hrs.

Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
PO Box 245
108 W 2nd
Assaria, KS USA 67416

What procedure or mechanism is used to backup the local.ddb file.

User invoked, Script, ScheduledTask, or command?

Joe
In Reply to Randy Jones:

Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
PO Box 245
108 W 2nd
Assaria, KS USA 67416

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

In Reply to Richard Borders:

What type of hardware and what OS is being used

Sun hardware (variety of Blade 1000, Blade 2000, Blade 2500, and Ultra 45) running Solaris 10u6 (sparc)

In Reply to Randy Jones:

Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
PO Box 245
108 W 2nd
Assaria, KS USA 67416

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

In Reply to Joe Barnes:

What procedure or mechanism is used to backup the local.ddb file.

User invoked, Script, ScheduledTask, or command?

I wrote a sh script that performs the backup. I then add a line in each users crontab file that runs this script every 1/2 hr from 6:00am to 4:30pm (their normal working hours). 1 hr to write and debug the sh script and then 5 minutes to add it to all (30+) users crontab files.

Joe
In Reply to Randy Jones:

Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
PO Box 245
108 W 2nd
Assaria, KS USA 67416

pwyndham
3-Visitor

In Reply to Ian Bagnald:
I keep putting off upgrading from Intralink 3.4 M050 to M060/61 even though it is holding back rolling out WF4, we are currently on WF2 M280 because I am concerned about introducing this workspace corruption to our users by upgrading Intralink. If you were facing the option of waiting for this issue to be resolved or taking the plunge would you implement? We have a fair amount of demand here for WF4. I've got about 22 users and it's very hard to say if the risk that we might be among the more affected is enough to continue to hold back on upgrading.

Ian Bagnald
pwyndham
3-Visitor

I forgot to mention. I have been trying to install WF4 M070 with Intralink 3.4 M040 and am having issues with it connecting to the workspace. Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. I am not sure if this is due to moving my %homedrive% %homepath% windows variables or an incompatiblity. I have no problems with WF4 M050 and have not tested M060.
Tundra
1-Newbie

"Pro/Intralink 3.4 M070 Available for Extended Support Customers"

"Pro/INTRALINK 3.4 M070 is scheduled for availability in March 2009 for Extended Support customers..."

a) Now with the imminent release of M070 for "Extended Support Customers" only (sic), this begs the issue - will this solve the 3.4 workspace corruption issues PTC?

b) For the past several days I too have been testing 64-bit WF4 M70 with our Intralink 3.4 M040 system and to date have not encountered any show stoppers. (My company is under business pressures to move to WF4 ASAP.)

So do I go all in with the company's CAD data by:

1) Rolling out WF4 and Intralink 3.4 M061?

2) Rolling out WF4 and keeping Intralink 3.4 M040?

3) Paying the $$$ and rolling out WF4 and Intralink 3.4 M070?

4) Wait and see if their is a M062?

I do not like CAD gambling....

~John F.

Wasn't the same true for M060? "Pro/Intralink 3.4 M070 Available for Extended Support Customers"
Then didn't PTC release M060 to all maintenance paid customers anyways??

I'm still wondering why my organization funded M060, if all customers did not purchase EXTENDED support (we did).

I think we are owed a refund as nothing was delivered to us that was in anyway different from what "Standard" maintenance paying customers received. And just to be clear, NONE of us would have Pro/INTRALINK 3.4 if we did NOT have Pro/E.

Andrew

We started doing some Pro/Intralink V3.4 M030 + Pro/E WF 4.0 M060
testing and couldn't get it to fail. I pinged a very experienced PTC
applications engineer on the idea and got the following response:

" Bob, that combination is 100% not supported, and there are serious
technical incompatibilities that may eventually bite you. It is not just
that we haven't tested the combination. WF4 is unicode, and M030 is not.
I had asked once before if only using english language would work with
pre-M060 intralink. Development said NO WAY. Do not even consider using
that combination. If your database gets corrupted, chances of repair are
very slim. I can only go by what R&D says, and it was no small effort
to upgrade Intralink 3.x to unicode. "

That was good enough for us. We've halted any experimentation with WF
4.0 at this point. Think about it very hard and ask around. Do your
testing on a test server, not production. If you hope to run the
Intralink V3.4-to-Windchill Data Migrator in the future, you may need
one heck of a healing script to get through it.

Hope it helps,

- BG

That's enough for me, putting my intralink upgrade plans on the shelf until this corruption problem is fixed

Ian Bagnald
StanBalish
4-Participant

What particular operation (Pro/INTRALINK or Pro/ENGINEER)seems to be causingyour corruption? Checkin...checkout...update...sync...totally random?

Just happened to be looking at the update adviser to see what was fixed in WF4.0 M080.

TAN 143517 was kind of interesting

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=143517

<u>Module</u>

Pro/E - Pro/I Interaction

<u>Title</u>

Pro/INTRALINK 3.4 M060 Workspace Data May Become Corrupt After Launching Pro/ENGINEER With A Linked Session.

Looks like WF4 M080 andProI3.4 M062may be the solutions to the corruption problems, Hopefully.

Joe

ehill
1-Newbie

Well that's good news, I think.

The affected client data entries all list Windows XP 64...can anyone
confirm whether 32-bit XP is a also problem?

Best Regards,

One of my concerns is around the following direct quote from article TAN 143517.

"Pro/INTRALINK 3.4 M061 is now available that contains a fix for this issue to reduce the number of occurrences of the ldb corruption."

Reduce????

Directionally this is good, but we are on 3.4 - M030, out of ~100 installations, we might experience one corruption a month.

I think M061 likely represents an INCREASE in corruptions when compared with our current state.

Your comments?

We have had issues with corruption on 32-bit as well....

"Eric Hill" <->
03/26/2009 01:11 PM
Please respond to
"Eric Hill" <->

To
-
cc

Subject
[proi] - RE: Ilink 3.4 M061 Corruption Issues

Well that’s good news, I think.

The affected client data entries all list Windows XP 64…can anyone confirm
whether 32-bit XP is a also problem?

Best Regards,

M062 specifically addresses a “root cause” so hopefully this fixes it for good

I think you would have to contact tech support directly for the build until it is posted on the download site.

Andrew Amsden
CAD\PDM Administrator
Midmark Corporation
937-526-8770

Top Tags