cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Importing non Windchill/PTC files into Windchill for rev control

tjerome
9-Granite

Importing non Windchill/PTC files into Windchill for rev control

We imported non-PTC files into a workspace and checked them into WindChill. We can check-out the file. How do we load the files into the native application and save back to the workspace so that a check-in action to WindChill would index the file version?

8 REPLIES 8
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:tjerome)

What kind of non-PTC files?

Windchill supports Microsoft Office files and other CAD formats, NX, CATIA, AutoCAD, etc.

https://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/168115/en/Windchill11.0M020CADIntegrationMatrix_3117.pdf

Specifically these are 3d Scan files from Leica Cyclone, with the .IMP extension.

tjerome
9-Granite

We are able to load them into windchill just cant launch the app or store them back in with a revision number.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

That functionality is what a Work Group Manager does. Without a WGM for you application, you cannot launch the files in the app from within Windchill. You should be able to revise a document to the revision of your *.imp file and upload to Windchill. This is how we handle AutoCAD files today, We Upload a PDF as the primary content and then attach the DWG file to the Windchill document. We have to do this because IT keeps upgrading AutoCAD to newer versions than our WGM can support.

Ben thanks for that answer. I installed WGM client and have WGM on our Windchill server. The problem is, when I try to manually add the cyclone app to WGM client, it does not recognize the .exe as a valid target when I browse to it.

Is there another way to do this? Register an Application?

I see a prepopulated drop down with Autocad and Solidworks going up to 2014.

I am running M020 CPS 22 on Windchill.

THanks.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Unless PTC supports a file type, there is nothing you can do with any of the WGMs to support another file type.

I-cubed writes all of the WGMs for PTC, you may try contacting them for a specific non-standard WGM.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

I-cubed writes all of the WGMs for PTC...

Are you sure this is still the case?  I was speaking with the WGM product manager a few years back and thought she said PTC had pulled these back in house.  A quick Google search shows that I-Cubed was acquired by KPIT back in 2014 and the CEO who was running it has since left the company.

Tim - PTC doesn't have any Workgroup Manager based integration for Leica Cyclone and hence you can't register it with the WGM even though you've installed the WGM application. On the PTC side, we have no plans to develop such an interface either. I am not aware of any Partner like KPIT who has developed such a WGM interface for Leica Cyclone.

Pls. feel free to reach out to me directly, if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. I am responsible for all MCAD WGMs, ECAD WGMs and Creo View @ PTC.

Top Tags