cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

In terms of performance, what is it like running Windchill 10.2 in a virtualized environment (e.g., VMware vSphere)?

Cat
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member

In terms of performance, what is it like running Windchill 10.2 in a virtualized environment (e.g., VMware vSphere)?

According to the following guide , it seems that Windchill running well in a virtualized environment

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/PTC_Deployment_Guide.pdf

Questions:

1. Are there some folks who run their Windchill 10 Production system in a virtualized environment?

2. What are pros and cons of running in a virtualized environment?

Thanks for the help in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sknox
1-Newbie
(To:Cat)

We run both the Application and Database servers in VM. We are on 10.2 M030 CPS15 (as well as test servers, wouldn't do it any other way)

As far as performance we did have an issue early on with intermittent performance, however after PTC looked at it they notified us of a bug with one of the NIC drivers in VM (switch virtual NIC from VMXNET3 to E1000 / E1000E), so once we changed that we've had zero issues. Advantage wise, if I need to restore the system its easy with snapshots.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV

We've never run Windchill in a non-virtualized environment.    I can't imagine why you would want to with all the benefits of virtualization except maybe in extremely large deployments.

sknox
1-Newbie

We run both the Application and Database servers in VM. We are on 10.2 M030 CPS15 (as well as test servers, wouldn't do it any other way)

As far as performance we did have an issue early on with intermittent performance, however after PTC looked at it they notified us of a bug with one of the NIC drivers in VM (switch virtual NIC from VMXNET3 to E1000 / E1000E), so once we changed that we've had zero issues. Advantage wise, if I need to restore the system its easy with snapshots.

mdebower
18-Opal

We currently are running production and test servers in MS Hyper-V 2012R2 quite happily.   As others have mentioned some of the benefits of VM, I won't repeat those.

Oh, we also run off-site at a data center.  Just last week they migrated us to newer hardware, and we didn't even have a drop in service.  Bonus!

Windchill  10.1 m040

Cat
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member

Thanks for the information. I will update how it works in a virtualized environment.

Top Tags