Informal Survey Question: If you use PDMLink for parts (WTParts) and Drawings (either CAD drawing, o
My company is having problems with understanding WTPart revisions in Windchill. As a result, I would like to determine if there is an industry best practice around CAD model, drawing, and part revision control synchronization that perhaps we are not following. Specifically, I would like your help determining what proportion of Windchill implementations make an effort to synchronize a EPMDocument CAD Model (i.e. Pro/E ASM or PRT) Revision "A" with a Drawing Revision "A" (EPMDocuments (i.e. .DRW), WTDocuments, paper), and/or with a WTPart Revision "A" (i.e. "As-designed" view Revision). In other words, at your company, if you change a model, drawing, or part revision for a given part number, then do you similarly revise the others to synchronize their revision letters?
If you would like to participate, please open the survey, below, replace the red text with your own information, then send that response to - (do not reply all) prior to October 13th. Next Friday, I will post any results that I get so you can all see the results. Once I post the results, perhaps we can discuss this topic in more detail in a future thread.
Notes: Object iterations (check out/check in) are not relevant for this survey. Please ignore exceptional cases within your business processes. Try to answer according to your most common practice. As an example, I have answered for my company in red text, below.
1. Company? Solar Turbines Incorporated
2. Industry? Oil & Gas, Power Generation
3. Production Windchill? PDMLink 9.1 (M040)
4. Approx. No. of Active Users? 3000
5. Do you typically synchronize Drawing (i.e. DRW, WTDocument, etc.) Revision (i.e. "A") with CAD Model (i.e. ASM or PRT) Revision (i.e. "A")? Yes (Please comment if you do not use drawings and/or models in PDMLink)
6. Do you typically synchronize a Drawing (i.e. DRW, WTDocument, paper, or other) Revision (i.e. "A") with a Part Revision (i.e. WTPart As-designed view version "A")? No (Please comment if you do not use drawings and/or parts in PDMLink)
7. Do you typically synchronize a CAD Model (i.e. ASM or PRT) Revision (i.e. "A") with a Part Revision (i.e. WTPart As-designed view version "A")? No (Please comment if you do not use models and/or parts in PDMLink)
8. What is/are the name/s of your View(s) for WTParts in PDMLink (if more than one, please list vertically to show parent/child relationships)? Common Manufacturing Process Service
9. Comments? We are having difficulty managing our part revisions independently of our drawing and model revisions. Many users are confused about what is the meaning and purpose of part revisions when the part revisions have no connection with its drawing revision.
Al Anderson PDM Functional Architect Solar Turbines Incorporated Windchill Solutions TC Member Windchill Infrastructure TC Member